Engine conversions - a quick guide

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

I beleive custom shafts are required for the Matiz, unless you convert the hubs too.
Last edited by Brayden on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jeff

Howdy, good going Brayden ,informative and easy to read, with all the interest and information sharing on this topic maybe a second part would be a project sheet for those who have already converted to note finer details, The fiddly stuff , tips and tricks upgrades if neccesary (could be done as a section by section form) , just a thought, cheers
ToranaGuy

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've done the F8b conversion, and probably don't have much to add on that front, but in a few mths time i'll have some to add on turbocharging a F8b.. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
gadj

Apparently the G10 convo depends on what model Swift the gearbox comes from as to whether the MB shafts will match. I have been assured that the modification (if required) is simple, only needing a hacksaw & maybe a file.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
mowog

I wrecked an 86 swift the right side axle was obviously a replacement as it had Mighty Boy marked on it.
So at least thats one that fits.
jeff

Howdy , I have used a 95 model swift for my conversion ,used the (MB) original driveshafts ,changed the inner joints to that of the SWIFT so as to fit in the diff(swift g/box). Though the stub axle centre is that of the MB the rotor is from the swift (not aware at the time of the compatability of the earlier model)the swift strut was not compatible in this case,hope that helps ,cheers PS heres a tip if using a post 88 model source a pre 88 distributor (as the cap for the 88 on is only available through suzuki at a price of $79)
ToranaGuy

Great stuff guys! So it looks like the G10 isn't so hard after all......

Cheers

ToranaGuy
ferdie

looking at the "national code of practice for light vehicle construction and modification"

for maximum engine capacity it states that any vehicle less than 800kgs weight x3 = n/a allowable cc's and weight x2.5 = blown max capacity in cc's

if this is so, 1590cc na and 1325 cc turbo is the max allowable, anyone care to comment on what the allowable limits are from experience??
stevan_istheman

if this is so, 1590cc na and 1325 cc turbo is the max allowable, anyone care to comment on what the allowable limits are from experience??
How much do you want to spend? :wink:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
ferdie

stevan_istheman wrote:
How much do you want to spend? :wink:
why answer my question with a :wink: question

seriously though, i know how much custom work costs even when you do most of it yourself.

the budget is not the problem, keeping it legal and being able to get rego is, you can fit anything anywhere with a hammer and lube (and coin), but weather it can be regoed is the question....

a good mate of mine that preps race cars has a saying "even the impossible is still possible, it just cost more" its actually on his business card......
Brayden

In the end, the defining limit is available space. Unless you were to extend the front end with some hideous looking bumper you would not be able to fit a 1.3L motor, turbo and intercooler in the engine bay.

However, a 1.3L Swift motor stroked out to 1.5 (square bore) would be possible in theory. Or a 1.6 destroked and sleeved.

I'd be seriously impressed if anyone had the initiative, energy, money and experience to see a project like that through to registration... and when it was done you would have a straight line bullet that would kill you at the first corner.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:and when it was done you would have a straight line bullet that would kill you at the first corner.
That's just what you want in a toy, death on wheels - because it makes you feel alive. :lol: :D

I thought here in Vic the rules were roughly 1000cc turbo & 1300 n/a engines were the largest that could be fit into a might boy, regardless, either enginesin a mighty boy would be FUN! :burnout:

I wish i had a g10a swift engine & box to see if my drive shafts fit - but then i'd have to get another mighty boy to fit it to, i think i'm too far into my f8b EFI turbo project to change the game plan now. Only a couple more bits to get, then i have to bolt it together & tune it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
ferdie

Brayden wrote:In the end, the defining limit is available space. Unless you were to extend the front end with some hideous looking bumper you would not be able to fit a 1.3L motor, turbo and intercooler in the engine bay.
who said anything about the engine bay??

who has seen zcars from the uk?? (if not then get onto it and google z cars) im trying to arrange a factory visit when im in europe later in the year....
ToranaGuy

ferdie wrote:
Brayden wrote:In the end, the defining limit is available space. Unless you were to extend the front end with some hideous looking bumper you would not be able to fit a 1.3L motor, turbo and intercooler in the engine bay.
who said anything about the engine bay??
If you wanna make it legal....... it has to fit. As we have seen some very large v8's have been fit into mighty boy's, but they would never pass rego requirements!

Actually, thinking on that subject, i remember reading in street machine a number of years ago about a small, around 1lt v8 that was to be fit into a production motor bike...... Now that could be interesting if it ever made it into production!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
cam

http://www.h1v8.com/H2.htm

here is a Hyabusa car install engine!

or 2 hyabusa engines made into a V8!

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm