Engine conversions - a quick guide

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
JohnnyB

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]
ferdie

ToranaGuy wrote:If you wanna make it legal....... it has to fit. As we have seen some very large v8's have been fit into mighty boy's, but they would never pass rego requirements!

Actually, thinking on that subject, i remember reading in street machine a number of years ago about a small, around 1lt v8 that was to be fit into a production motor bike...... Now that could be interesting if it ever made it into production!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
im not talking about making a boat-anchor boy, ive been hillclimbing and sprint for a while now, im currently in the process of selling my track car, if your workmanship is good enough you can engineer almost anything as long as its safe and you work with in the rules, the tray area is the area im looking into, as with a bit of fabrication work there is more room to be had in every direction....

as for the bike motor, they are really hard to get engineered as they dont meet any car ADR's, because bikes have to comply with different rules.....

and the v8 bussa comes with a 30k price tag, and im sure thats not AUD, so the exchange rate will kill you i think....
Zeeky

Hello everybody...
Just curious if anyone is aware of using the k10b engine from more modern Altos... It's bigger and injected... But still 3cyl... So it could easily fit ID guess... Any ideas?
Brayden

The block and gearbox frame are much larger than other 3 cylinders. It is actually as large as some 4cyl setups. A couple of inches too wide for a standard MB engine bay.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Crusty

Gday all, I've joined here because I've recently bought an 86 Mighty Boy as a project. (yeah, I can hear the laughter) I'm no stranger to car restorations and I do almost everything myself, engine work included.

I'm in Cairns, am well equipped for the resto, and I'm retired - which is where Crusty comes from, you know: old, crusty, cranky, etc. The MB body has a couple of spots of rust, no problems there, can do. 

The MB when finished is intended to be a runaround city car and no planned excursions out on the highway. Believe it or not, it's professionally fitted with an alloy bullbar....

My problem at the moment is the engine and how to identify exactly which type it is. Currently, it will not turn over and has been sitting for some time, probably over a year. This doesn't trouble me too much in that I had planned on reconditioning it anyway and have already removed lots of panels, radiator, etc in preparation to lifting it out and stripping it down. And I've downloaded all the workshop manual data on this forum, thanks Brayden! Also bought a CD manual from ebay that has a lot of alto & other stuff on it as well.

When I bought it, the previous owner told me that it had a larger motor in it but I trust very little of what he said.

So, first question: How to identify the engine, and if it's via the engine number where's the engine number?

2nd question: Engine parts: I've seen heaps on ebay, are they reliable enough to use or are there specific sellers that everyone uses?

3rd question: The radiator... which I assume is a standard jobbie ... is that size okay? Do the MB's have any overheating issues in daily running?

That will probably do for now, but undoubtedly I'll have more. Thanks in advance for whatever assistance you can supply.
86BOY

If the 'larger motor' is what we would assume to be the Suzuki Hatch motor, you would be looking at an 800cc and is easily found with a stamping of 'F8B' just below and to the side of the oil pressure sender and just below that closer to the sump is the engine number. The front of the block will also have a '796' stamping just under the exhaust manifold.

4WD Part Shop (Suzistore) have all sorts of replacement parts if you want to avoid eBay, pricing is a bit up there but is expected for a 30+ year old car. https://www.4wdpartshop.com.au/suzuki/s ... 55623.html

Standard radiator does the job fine. If you're looking into an upgrade that is nicely sized for the MB, look no further than a mini radiator. A couple of custom brackets and a thermo fan switch mounted either in the radiator or in the top rad hose via an adapter is the go. :thumbup1:
Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
Crusty

Thanks mate, info appreciated!

And the disassembly continues................
Jccimagineer

Hi gentlemen. In the US. Intrigued by this car. Looking to get it as I live in nyc. Any chance the OEM motor can be upgraded to fit highway driving? 120 km/hr ?