HOW TO INSTALL WEBER 30 DIC **GUIDE**

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
djflex

Ok everybody I thought I would contribute to our community by giving a how to guide on installing a Weber 30 DIC into a MB.

My Mikuni pretty well died on me and the Car Clinic quoted $504.00 to rebuild it. Upon doing a autopsy on it myself I realised there was way more wrong with it and decided to 'U-P-G-R-E-Y-E-D-D' (from the movie Idiocracy :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zqwnCR ... re=related) to a Weber.

I am not a Mechanic at all but will try anything and have great patience so here goes.

I sourced a good 30 DIC Weber from http://www.fiaparts.com they are in Melbourne and Garry was a hell of a nice guy to deal with and very helpful.

Fiaparts
46 Alex Avenue
Moorabin VIC 3189
039532 0794

Cost of Carby was $120 plus $22 shipping to QLD (arrived next morning)
Airfilter from WeberPerformance http://www.weberperformance.com.au/prod ... cts_id=756

Whats required:

I have very minimal tools and equipment but managed to borrow some small items from a great neighbour (Thanks Ray)

TOOLS
  • Cordless Drill
    Spanner set
    workbench
    Angle grinder
    Screwdrivers
    Ball Peen hammer (for gasket making of course)
    Protective Eye wear
    Rotary Files for drill
    Drill bits
    Spray bottle
    Kerosine
    3/8 tap
    Locktite
PARTS
  • Weber 30 DIC Carburetor from Fiat 850 spider $120
    Base Plate off your old carby IMPORTANT $Free
    4 x 3/8 UNC Worm screws (at local bolt supplier)$2
    Various brackets from Bunnings (cost aprox $10)
    Assorted screws $15
    New cable connector ($10 at local boat cable shop fitted)
    Ramflo Air Filter - 30 DIC Weber [RF432S] $67.95
    Gasket Paper (Heavy)
    Patience

GETTING STARTED

The three items we need to begin with are the Carby, the old Mikuni base, and the plastic spacer.

MAKING THE ADAPTOR PLATE
Dissasemble the base plate from your old Mikuni and give it a good clean with a wire brush

Get rid of those lumpy bits on the side to make room for the accelorator mechanism to open and close

Using a rotary file you need to carefully open out (funnel) the primary intake to match near enough the secondary intake.
I found using the plastic spacer as a template and marking it out with a Sharpie is easy.
You will need to use a spray bottle with Kerosine while doing the honing and regularly spray the bit to un-clog it.

Once that is honed out to match fairly closely to the Secondary intake you are ready to start blocking up those nasty holes in the side (4 in total).

Now carefully (I mean carefull) tap the holes to the 3/8 UNC size
Be sure to tap fairly deep as we will be using the threads again as mounting points for your brackets later on

Insert 3/8 UNC worm screws and be sure to put Locktite on each one.

Also on the plastic gasket open out the primary to match the same as the carby

Preparing the Weber

Ok, you will notice the holes in the Weber 30 DIC carby are smaller and 2 of them are threaded

Using a circular file bit that matches the same thickness of the old carby base plate holes we need to leangthen the holes towards the outer corners to accomodate the existing studs on the intake manifold.
BE SURE TO USE A SPRAY BOTTLE WITH KEROSINE WHILE CUTTING
take your time and go slowly, remember we dont want to cut through to the edges.

As you can see the holes on one side are now leangthned and moved outward to match the intake manifold studs.

on the threaded side we need to drill these out in preparation for cutting
**Be carefull not to hit the carby or lingages as you drill through**Image

Repeat the same steap and genlty work your way to the outsides
Remember this will be really close to the edges and will leave a flys dick of metal left on the outside edge.

What you will end up with is the carby mount holes resembling somthing like this.
Damn close to the edge as you can see without breaking through

Now give it a good blow with the air compressor and get rid of all the tiny particles.

MAKING THE GASKETS

I love this part as it reminds me of making gaskets for my RM-80 X out of old phonebook and wheeties boxes

Using a ball-peen hammer tap out the gaskets on some heavy gasket paper.

Watch the following video to see how its done RIGHT!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdG10CR0Woc

You need to make 3 x gaskets to match the carby and the adaptor plate

Dont they look pretty

Probalbly an unecesary step but hey I like to do things right so might as well use that old bottle of gasket cement I have sitting around

INSTALLING THE WEBER

Place the gaskets on in the following order (Important as there is vacuum chambers on old plate that we dont need anymore.

You will need to get 1 x nut that does not have the flat base for the rear-left stud
It will be such a tight fit on the rear-left one that you will have to shave the edges off the hex heads so that it JUST clears the carburetor body.

Voila its bolted on now....yehaaaa

HOW TO BUILD A $10 Bracket in 10 Mins

Ok I like most people dont have fabricating tools and metal lying around so I resorted to what I know best 'Mecano' concepts :)

Ok run on down to Bunnings and grab some pieces from the hardware section that look similar to this.

Please note 3/8" Allen Key bolts I got at local screw suppliers.

You will need to build one of the following Meccano style brackets study the pictures carefully and it will make sense. NOTE: I cut part of the original bracket and drilled a hole so I can utilise the stock mount for cable.

Now mount that BadBoy in place using the 2 x 3/8" allen key screws into the holes we tapped earlier on for the worm screws. This is the reason we tapped them so deeply so as to utilise the same thread as a mount point.

And as you can see the allen head bolt clears the throttle cam perfectly

HOOKING UP THE CABLES

Ok the easiest and most reliable way as well as very affordable option is to run down to the local Marine Cable Factory (google them under marine control, repairs )
I used these guys here
http://www.marinecontrolsystems.com.au/

It cost only $10 for them to press on a proper attachment for my Webber.

As you can see the dilema is as follows: the old connector is a different style than the new weber style.

So they pressed on a Holley/Webber 6mm Connector i 5 mins flat.

PLEASE NOTE: the connector will be only 6mm as I realised when I got home and measured the ball and it was 8mm

Dont fret simply slide of the cover and drill a 8mm hole and replace the sleeve BINGO fits

The Choke cable will using the existing mount and 2 x washers and a screw to clamp it in place.

And ends up looking pretty stock

AIR FILTER INSTALLATION

Installing a air filter is pretty straight forward but requires very slight modifications for our application

Looks a bit tougher under the hood now eh!

STAY TUNED: Final step - how to setup the vaccum advance on Weber
Last edited by djflex on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
George A Romero - Father of Zombie Films
ceej

Looking forward to the next part. Added to the technical FAQ. :wink:

Good stuff mate. :thumbup1:
Garry. Nuff sed!
djflex

updated :)
Brayden

Once this is completed I'll put it in the workshop section of the website. :)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
djflex

Updated :)
Brayden

I'd have to recommend against the RamFlo. I had one years ago and it did nothing but suck in hot air. Ceej made up a cold air feed for his carby and it was much better.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Husky

As some of you guys know I'm running a ramflo as discussed at the Albury cruise, I deadset reckon its sucking in some hot air. Really notice a difference sitting in traffic performance does suffer...
as djflex knows I'm in the process currently of making up a cold air box/induction. I'm also going to measure intake temp with the ramflo and cold air setup. Should be all sorted in the next couple of weeks.
Stay tuned!
Complete details will be posted re temp and cold air setup :)
djflex

Husky wrote:As some of you guys know I'm running a ramflo as discussed at the Albury cruise, I deadset reckon its sucking in some hot air. Really notice a difference sitting in traffic performance does suffer...
as djflex knows I'm in the process currently of making up a cold air box/induction. I'm also going to measure intake temp with the ramflo and cold air setup. Should be all sorted in the next couple of weeks.
Stay tuned!
Hey Husky,

a special thanks to you for your assistance and emails whilst doing my install they were invaluable.

Im also building a Cold air induction system and toying with several methods. I will keep you posted on what I come up with.

Perhaps between husky and Myself we can come up with a really suitable setup.
Husky

djflex wrote:
Husky wrote:As some of you guys know I'm running a ramflo as discussed at the Albury cruise, I deadset reckon its sucking in some hot air. Really notice a difference sitting in traffic performance does suffer...
Stay tuned!
Hey Husky,

a special thanks to you for your assistance and emails whilst doing my install they were invaluable.

Im also building a Cold air induction system and toying with several methods. I will keep you posted on what I come up with.

Perhaps between husky and Myself we can come up with a really suitable setup.
Cheers mate,
Look forward to it. I'm really keen to see the temp differences :?:
Just waiting on the temp probe and some materials...
the best bit the setup I'm making will be able to be adaptable to the stock carby setup with minor changes.
ferdie

just my 10c, but the off the shelf adapter plate will be cheaper than buying all the milling bits for the drill.

i will chase a part number if anyone is interested??
mytboy83

that would be great ferdie
djflex

ferdie wrote:just my 10c, but the off the shelf adapter plate will be cheaper than buying all the milling bits for the drill.

i will chase a part number if anyone is interested??
I was fortunate to have great neighbor that had them in his garage :)

But yes if you can find the part number it would help
ceej

Yeah grab the adapter part number an chuck it up. Maybe Jay or Brayden could add it to the MB parts list next time it is being updated as an optional upgrade part or something?
Garry. Nuff sed!
cozza

is it me or does the picture of that carby have holley stamped on the top of it.
djflex

cozza wrote:is it me or does the picture of that carby have holley stamped on the top of it.

Yep You are correct in fact it says Holley - Webber ???

Not sure why but its an italian made unit that has both stamped.