Carby Issues

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

Sounds to me like shit in the float bowl or idle circuit then. Quick fix is to switch the plug leads on 2 & 3 (from memory) and crank it over. Engine will backfire and usually blasts any crap out of where it shouldn't be.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Al_Zhiemer

Another quick fix method that some times works is to remove the air filter, bring the revs up on the engine and choke the carby up with your hands. keep the revs up on the motor and when the car almost stalls, remove your hand from the top of the carby and wait until the revs pick back up and repeat several times and see what happens.

Cheers
Drive: 1997 Toyota Starlet... (the incognito mobile)
1985 Suzuki Mighty Boy, currently being restored.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Why doesn't the Gene Pool have life gaurds??
Ralf the RR

Brayden wrote:Sounds to me like shit in the float bowl or idle circuit then. Quick fix is to switch the plug leads on 2 & 3 (from memory) and crank it over. Engine will backfire and usually blasts any crap out of where it shouldn't be.
Funny you mention that.
It did a little backfire through the carby while I was fiddling.

Like I said before, this forum is very informative, and many different people have valid suggestions.
And I thank you all :clap:

And if this problem still persisted, then I would resort to a carby rebuild as you suggested.

A little concerning was Flinny's comments regarding 5 different setups on 5 different carbies. Not much consistency there :-o

Anyway, all is good now (relatively).
Just had to replace the front left ball joint (which is integral to the lower control arm) and brake pedal rubber for the blue slip.

Still think some of the carby hoses are not right.
Might have to do a bit of research on this type of carby to find out exactly how it's supposed to be setup.
Harry
Oil leaks are a factory rust prevention option
Brayden

The hoses probably won't ever be set up right because you have the carby from an automatic on your manual, so there'll be excess vacuum lines for the auto gearbox triggers.

Flinny's comment won't be far off the mark, although the differences are usually very slight, and the generic rebuild kit covers all variations.
ToranaGuy

I too can attest to there being many different carb's for the F5a & F8b engines. I have 4 or 5 carb's and only one pair, the other two are very different to the pair.

I know one is an auto carby, the other looks like it might be with a few bits missing, the other 2 are manual carbies.

I'm having huge carb issues with my boy atm, it's flooding very quickly & i can't get the bugger started due to this. IF i manage to get it started, 1 in 5 tries from cold with time to unflood, it will idle rich, and once off idle the engine pulls like it should upto red line.

Time for a rebuild or just a " backfire " test? lol. I already have a kit to rebuild it, and i've rebuilt another before, so i have half a clue what i'm getting into, lol. :lol:

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

If the motor is flooding then the problem will likely be a dirty/damaged needle, or a float that needs adjusting.

The "backfire fix" is only good when dirt is lodged in the carby, causing the motor to die off.
Ralf the RR

Just an update.

The carby is still performing like crap.
Secondaries are opening up, but it actually slows down :cry:
I reckon the float level is incorrect, or maybe emulsion tubes/jet blocked.

Ripped off the idle up diaphragm thingy. Seemed to serve no purpose.

Hose configurations are still all over the shop.
Some earlier suggestions were not quite right.

Bought a kit. Will do a mini rebuild this weekend (if nothing else crops up).
Might even take some pics for future reference.

I'm a bit of an SU fan, so may eventually go down this track if I don't have any success.

Stay tuned :roll:
Harry
Oil leaks are a factory rust prevention option
Jermaine

simple fix.. wack in the F8b lol
ToranaGuy

honda_mightyboy_rule wrote:simple fix.. wack in the F8b lol
That's only good if the F8b you get has a full set of accessories. Inc a good working carby.

I pulled the fuel line off my carby, and fed it some carby cleaner thru the fuel line, 50/50 mix of petrol & carby cleaner from a bottle. Cranked the b*tch over & it didn't take much for it to fire & use up the 500ml mixture. Then hooked the fuel line back up.

It's very hard to start. Pull the choke out & pump the loud peddle a number of times, then pump it a bit more as the engine is trying to come to life. When it's coming to life, back off the choke & plant the right boot & it starts & then will idle. Man, i forgot how much oil this F5a is now burning.

I think i gotta rebuild my F8b & put it back in!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|