Introduce yourself!

Chat about anything and everything.
Tez

Time to step out of the shadows...

I've been lurking for a short while on this forum and decided this morning to do the big "announce", so here goes... (sorry if this gets long winded & boring - I'm known to be a bit verbose...)

My name is Terry - friends call me Tez (you guys can too). I'm in my early 40's and have a beautiful wife, kids, mortgage, two cars and live-in-father-in-law. We try to fit all this onto a 1/4 acre suburban block in Croydon, Melbourne.

Ever since I was a little tacker, I have loved Minis, and have owned (with my wife) up to three simultaneously apart from our other cars. My daily driver for about 4 years was a 1965 Mini deluxe with a whomping 998 cc donk pushing out a factory 34 HP I called "Boris". Boris was the most fun I've ever had in cars, but circumstances change and needs change and several years ago, we sold up our Minis (kinda wish we hadn't now, but thats water under the bridge. Since then we bought a new, Tiger-Mica shiny VX SS Commodore (which was a lot of fun to drive I must admit) but REAL thirsty driven the way I drove it. :wink:
In the 4 years we owned that car, our needs altered yet again as we bought a trailer-sailer (we sail too). That little puppy is 9.0m long on the trailer and weighs in at a midge under three tonnes and so the SS went and we got a second-hand 80-series Landcruiser. All this time, my wife had had an EL fairmont and she loved that car - I did too. 12 months ago we decided to trade the EL in on a newer model and now have a BF fairmont as Kim's car, and an 80-series 'cruiser as my daily driver.

Well. (still with me?)

Petrol prices are not going down... Kim will not part with the Fairmont (good for her) without the word 'divorce' somewhere in the sentance, and so I started thinking of ways to curb the $70- a week fuel bill for my 'Cruiser alone. We can't get rid of the 'Cruiser coz we need it to tow the boat (and it's cheaper to run than an SS!) but still not cheap enough.

Looking about for a CHEAP daily driver to get me the short distance to work, and to the shops etc. without getting wet, the options are slim.
We could go for another Mini, but these days, they are either a total basket case needing several thou spent on them and six months to rebuild, or a modern whizz-bang thingo (NOT cheap) or something else.
Enter, the Mightyboy!. Much like a Mini in size - not sure about the power thing tho', luxury on huge 12' wheels (up from the 10s I had on Boris) and offering 50+mpg = 5.4l / 100k's... Sounds about the right place to be, and only 25 years old or so as opposed to 40+ years for a Morris Mini. Being a ute will have it's benefits too.
So I poked about on ebay and watched them come up and go for about 6 months and got a feel for what they were costing, and what we could get for our buck when along can a car in great condition in Queensland the owners needed to sell quickly for their own reasons. I jumped on it and got it at what seems to me to be a very reasonable "buy it now' price, based on what I've seen in the preceeding 6 months.
So the car is on a transporter on it's way down here as I type - due on Wednesday with no rego, but from all I've seen hopefully not too far from RWC.
I have great expectations for this little beastie - haven't come up with a nick-name for it yet, but thinking about "killer-wasp" after the recent ad on telly about the "200 killer wasps" and this thing is only 19... :lol: We'll see.

Everyone talks about what they can do to get more poke out of their cars - I'd love to go the other way and keep the performance the same (NOT having driven it yet of course, this might all change!) and get fuel economy up to say, 70 - 80 mpg from it...? - I wonder if that's really the same thing...
Anyway. Nice to meet the few of you still awake after this great diatribe, and hope to meet a few of you in person some day.

Here's some pics of the car - I'm not a great fan of white cars, but I can change that... I know I'm not going to be a purist with this car.

Cheers for now.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
ceej

Nice story!

Welcome aboard mate, neat looking ute you have picked up. Hope it is as good s it appears to be! Don't change from white, you will regret it (at least I would if I were you). I reckon white is the best looking colour on MB's.

Let us know when you get it and start up a gallery and post some decent pictures.
Garry. Nuff sed!
Ralf the RR

Hi Tez,
Welcome.
Similar story to me, except I have a Range Rover, and my boat is a bit smaller.

I've had the MB for 3 months now.
And like you, I'm not interested in increasing it's performance.
(although I think mine is down on power from standard - it hates hills)
543cc. mmmmmmm. fuel economy.

I'm getting between 4.5 and 5.2 L/100K, which in figures I understand is 55 and 62 mpg.

Oh and when people laugh at you as they drive by, you can laugh at them at the servo!!!!
Harry
Oil leaks are a factory rust prevention option
Brayden

Best way to increase the fuel economy is to seal the secondary throttle on the carby. When I first got my MB (and knew nothing about engines) I drove it for over a year with a blocked secondary throttle. Yeah it was slow up hills but the economy was ridiculous! :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Will

Hi my name is Will im 21 and i am addict to caffeine. Been lurking for a while so i thought i would join.

I know Brayden, Ceej and Grant from other forums (ello boys!)

Currently own a 92 Cappuccino which i have had for 2 1/2 years which is my weekend warrior and also my track car. For daily use i have a 03 Corolla which i have only owned for a couple of months. With having the cappa off the road for about 3 months and working in Real Estate i needed something bigger and more reliable.

Don't get me wrong the cappuccino has been good to me until this year at the end of the day it is a 16 year old car. Also i didnt have the heart to sell either. Hopefully here to learn more about the wonderful world of the Kei Class car!
Cappuccino Owner
grant4561

Will dont sell the Cappo!!!!!!!!!
As you are in Real estate it wont be long before you can afford heaps of Cappo's :P
Will

Still only a sales assistant and have a long way to go before i make any big $$$

It did cross my mind but i couldnt do cause i know i would regret it too much. So im just gonna go all out on it!
Cappuccino Owner
iceman

Hey people,
I have been on this forum a few months now but never itroduced myself.
My name is Nick But verybody calls me Iceman don't really know how i got that Nickname but it was at a dealership i used to work for. Everybody had a nickname. (Sock, Rooster, Rubbernuts don't ask)
Anyway that dealership was a Mazda, Landrover Citroen and Suzuki dealership. I was 17 when this little ute rocked up to get serviced and i fell in love.
Been looking for one eversince but money, missus and kids kinda stopped all that. 6 months ago the House next to me was sold and a really nice old couple moved in. He asked for my help one day and guess what was sitting in his shed! A bloody MB.
So the deal was struck and i took the boy. All in all the boy cost me about $300.00 with a load of spare parts.
So i cleaned here up and whoever had it before my neigbour spent quite a bit of money on it.

So first things first, magwheels went on it. Then i sent the spare set of front shocks away to get lowered 2 inches, then the rear leaf springs. Went shopping and got all the stereo system components i needed. 2x 10" Subs 500w, 2x 6x9 speakers 400w, 1x split system 350w, 2x amp and a rats warren of cabling.
Had to make up a new dashboard to fit inbetween the original one and the floor to fit the stereo and all switches
The i realized that the stereo which i threw in the first day was draing the battery to quick and the alternator could not keep up, so the new engine i am rebuilding will have a Landcruiser alternator fitted to it. oh yeah i forgot all about the underbody lighting i have fitted.
Pics are worth more then words, so as soon that i am finished i will post a shit load of pics.

anyway signing of until next time i get time to post

Iceman
dbc.1980

Howdy all,

My name is Darran, and like a few others on the forum, decided to sign up and get chatting after poking around the website for a few months! (Great website by the way......)
I bought my first MB back in June of this year, and have loved the little guy ever since. Not knowing alot about these cars, I am surprised at how well and how hard they go for 20+ year olds.
Would love to add a few extras to my boy over time, but because I'm a stay at home dad for a while, might have to save my pennies for other such expenses in life.
Well Im glad to be on here at last, and look forward to chatting to you all and sharing some stories. You gotta love it when you pull up to a set of traffic lights and some dude leans out of a car window and yells "MIGHTYBOY" at the top of his voice and gives the thumbs up!!! What other car would get that sort of attention?!?!
Will post a few photos of my boy on here in the near future.
Chat to ya's later.
Darran.
Karkid

g'day all,
i have been on here for a while now but never formally introduced myself, well here goes.
Im Sam, Samuel or Karkid, will reply to anything realy and I'm located in Qld.
How i got into MB's: My mate's parents owned a mighty boy for awhile and i fell in love with its uniqueness but didnt realy think about it again until my parents bought a red manual MB, which i inherited now that i am driving. My first and only prob that i have had with a MB is that it couldnt reach 100 as i need to travel on a highway next year to go to uni. With brayden's support i discovered the f8b motor, then i had the quest of finding a 'boy' with one in it.
I found one near me that had seen better days but a few days before i left for canberra to compete i saw Ceej's advertisement, and discovered it to be the perfect mighty boy for me, and now i am the proud owner of it. (thanks again Ceej)
I'm looking forward to meeting many new MB enthusiest and learning much more about them
cheers everyone,
Sam :woot:
gremlin

yo.
Been a while since i've been on here...so thought i'd re-intro myself.
names mitchell.
have owned 3 boys in the past, including a turbo one.
i have other cars to ruin now so i'm looking to get another boy as a daily.
still have my old rear window with a big tamon sticker on it in the shed :D

catchya's.
bazeng

Hi guys,

I'm restoring a mighty boy. Just spent over $10,000 on fixing this one up and its still not running!!

Hopefully you guys can help me out on this.

Nice to meet you guys all

Also hope to go on some cruises in the future too.

Baz
Mighty Boy Restoration in progress
Brayden

$10k? That's a lot of coin to spend on an MB, and I know a thing or two about that! :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
bazeng

I know

We went abit overboard (its my little brothers car actually)

He paid $2000.00 for it.
Paint cost $2500.00 (inside / outside + panel work)
Wheels $750.00
Seats $300.00
Engine and gearbox rebuild $1500.00
Rego $500.00
Genuine Control arms $250.00
All new filters and cleaners etc $300.00
New headlights and grills etc etc... too much to mention a few hundred..

This is actually the daily driver, we were considering going all out and turboing the thing but decided that we'll keep the mods for the Mitsubishi Galants that we have. We are aiming for 10 sec 1/4 mile times for the Galants...

The mighty boy is gonna be used to pickup the chicks.... LOL

Here is what the Mighty Boy looks like:

Mighty Boy Restoration in progress
Subtle Prime

Hi all,

First time MB owner here. My first car (back in '03) was a '85 Charade which I loved but unfortunately it died on me about a year ago. Just got a Mighty Boy last week - it's not in the greatest condition but I'm hoping to slowly work on it over the coming months / years.