fuel guage not working

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Cookie

My car has sat for 6 months doing nothing as I had the engine out. The fuel guage worked fine before but now it doesn't move at all. I put $20 petrol in thinking it may be empty and it still sat there doing nothing. I gave the dash and the tank a good whack....didn't help I have read other posts about earthing wires to the dash but don't know where to find them. can anyone give me a sequence of things i should be looking for and how to test them as I realy hate the idea of topping up all the time.
Thanks
eris

the fuel and temp guages are Negative activated. so to check your fuel guage disconnect the sender wire from the tank (can't remember if it is easy to get to) earth it out with the ign key turned on (motor not running) the fuel gauge should move slowly to past full mark if this happens the gauge maybe ok, this may indecate the sender unit in the tank is faulty or the float is stuck on the empty point and needs to be removed and checked. if the gauge stays on empty the gauge may be faulty, there maybe no power to the gauge or a break in the wire from the tank. any way give it a go .. cris
do red Mighty Boys go faster down hill???
Cookie

thanks dude....sounds easy enough....gives me an idea of where to start anyways. :wink:
gadj

Requires 4 bolts undone to remove fuel tank. Take care not to damage sender wire as lowering tank to ground.
Remove sender unit from tank & inspect for corrosion/oxidation on all connections & the sender coil. I have found CLR is an excellent product for cleaning electrics such as this ( no abrasives needed - just apply & rinse thoroughly).
If you need to re-calibrate the sender, see the manual posted in the forum - it is a simple procedure.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Karkid

this is slightly offtopic but would the same thing be able to happen to a tractor?
cheers
eris

Yep. but check on wiring. 95% of fuel sender units are Neg activated by grounding the wire you are bypassing the resistance in the coil in the unit in the tank the wiring that gives you the varance on fuel levels ie 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 which is moved up or down via a float lever. so when you ground the wire you get 0- 0.001 resistance and your fuel gauge should go to full mark, this is the first step in checking out faulty fuel and temp guages. if this does not work need to check wiring to gauge, power to gauge and the gauge itself. hope this helps.... cris
do red Mighty Boys go faster down hill???