Mightboy accident......ADVICE WANTED PLEASE!!!

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
motorheadmatt

hey guys,

sum d*ckhead reversed into my might boy. He has full insurance and i have none. He has taken full responsibility for the accident. He has damaged my front fender and bent up my apron and front of the car...but nuffin too major, its mainly the fender thats is stuffed. Also a minor crack in the grill.

I have taken it to get assesed by his insurer today, GIO. They have since towed it to a pannel beater to get a quotation on the repairs. They already have told me that they will not be able to get parts for the boy.

What should do i do now????
Are they gonna ride it off???
How much are they valued at???

Can anyone with the same or simlar experience help me out????

cheers
"chopped springs give you wings"
Psi_Wagon

they should atleast try to get parts before telling you that. theres a black mightyboy in the pick-a-part in woolongong if you need parts...
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
Brayden

Let them write (not "ride") it off if they want to, then offer to buy it back. You'll get paid out the market value and buy it back at a fraction of that price. Get some cheap 2nd hand parts to fix it and pocket the difference.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mowog

under no circumsatances let THEM write it off, if they were your insurance company they have a right to the wreck, but in this case they do not. they can make you a cash payment and you can do whatever you want with it.
Get 3 quotes from local panel shops in writing, some will want to charge you but shop around.
the insurance co will tell you it is not economic to repair, if it is more than about $1500 I don't know what sort of condition the car was in but it is probably valued about that.
If the panel beaters quote less than the car was worth take it to the insurance co and offer to accept cash.
if the repair cost is more offer to accept a reduced amount.
First write to them and advise them the car is worth about $3000 or whatever you think it is worth plus about 50% and see what they come back with.
if you have phone or personal discussions with them do not admit the car could be worth less, DO NOT GET INTO ARGUMENTS DO NOT SHOUT OR THREATEN THEM THIS is of paramount importance, the moment they can claim you are abusive etc they can walk away and make it hard for you, make you go to court, which will cost a lot.
bite your tongue and go out and kick the punching bag or something but don't go crook at them.
Al_Zhiemer

Also, when i was cruising around this site the other day. i came across website that was listed in the where to buy bits for suzuki's from. they had new grills for $30, left front gaurds for $40 (not sure about the right side as they didn't have a listing), a bonet was only about $80 and i'm pretty sure they had the lower stone tray for around the $40.

So there is still new parts available out there, or at least ring them and find out.

Cheers.
Drive: 1997 Toyota Starlet... (the incognito mobile)
1985 Suzuki Mighty Boy, currently being restored.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Why doesn't the Gene Pool have life gaurds??
Colin

just get 2quotes and forward a letter of demand to the insured driver the insurance company will pay for the repairs ,it does help if you know someone in the panel beating game as the insurance company will make the check out to them not you . then fix it yourself and pocket the repair check. ive done this a few times its the easiest way
MORE BEER! :beer:
Brokenshire

My boss has just had an e type jag repaired at a cost of in excess 15K to the other guys insurance company, imported parts from england, wood frame custom made etc. He tells me the car is only worth about 10K. It's not up to them to decide wether to repair it or not, it's their expence. Don't give up!
motorheadmatt

Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

I spoke to the assessor and panel shop. My mighty boy already has sum front end damage..radiator support etc. They said that in order to fix they clients repairs they would have to fix those previously done. They said whoever did the previous repairs was dodgy. They said most likely the will give me a check for their clients damages and let me keep the car.

I will know the outcome today hopefully..... until then i havent been to work for the past 2 days. So i hope to work out what is going on soon. If im not happy with the outcome....or the payment what can i do???
mowog

"let me keep the car".....They HAVE NO RIGHT TO THE CAR!!! I'm not going to say it again.
Don't make an immediate decision. think it over for a couple of days. They are only liable to return the car to its original condition, and if the cost of that is more than the value of the car before the crash they can make a cash offer to that value.
there are valuers in the phone book, will cost you about $100 they will assess the value in writing then you can present it to the insurance co.
If the offer is acceptable of course you don't need to do that. If the offer is ridiculous you can politely say you need more advice and will think about getting an independent assessment.
As for $10,000 E type jags I will buy all the registered roadworthy ones that you can find at that price, thank you. just email me with details. The companies know what these are worth and barring some other circumstance the chances of them spending $15000 to repair a $10000 car are along the chances of rocking horse shit.
this story has been somewhat embellished in my opinion for what it's worth.
Of course if the customer is a good customer with lots of insurance and getting mates rates it is possible, but not the average joe blow.
The old repair is not so relevant, as long as it was repaired. The opinion of one panelbeater of anothers work is a bit suss. if there is existing damage it can be discounted.

if you are not happy with the offer you can make a counter offer. If they don't accept it you can go down the extra evaluation road. but remember that will cost. if the difference is say $400 try an offer to bring yours down 200 and they go up $200, remember they have more important things then your pissy $500 repair bill or whatever it is.. they won't want to spend a lot of tme with you . but they will have a top offer in mind so after your counter offer if they won't budge and you are still unhappy you have to think it over.
remember it is an old car and the collector value is in the eye of the beholder,, so be realistic, if you do the repair yourself you still should come out with some cash in your pocket.
suzutey

i have one for spares that in a similar case. a bloke with a bullbar had apexed a T intersection going 70kmh and took out the mboy on his way through. there was no insurance on the boy but the bloke that did it had full insurance and took the blaim. "so he should !". it was written off as the motor went through the firewall and crumpled the front on the drivers side. the insurance company payed 2800 for it and the owner paid 300 to buy in from the insurance company.
ToranaGuy

Mowog is correct, the other person's insurance company HAS NO RIGHT TO THE CAR, THEY DON'T HOLD A POLICY ON IT. It's that simple! They will try & make you give them the car, so they sell it at auction & get some money back for having to pay you out. It's a dirty insurance trick that is played on just about everyone! Don't fall for it. I've been there, with my torana & i told them this fact, they admitted to me that was true & i got my payout & kept the car.

Tell them they will be paying for the repair or write off value of the vehicle end of story! Just make sure if your car is not a legal statutory write off they don't add it to the WOVR, else it will cause you hassles down the track!

You will only accept payment from them if the car isn't added to the WOVR, and if it does get added they will pay any costs associated with getting the WOVR cleared from the vehicle once repairs have been done.

Taken from the redbook.com.au value of the mighty boy, which btw is WAY OFF, considering it's a special vehicle that only car nuts really own now adays.... ( I've got mine insured for $4k agreed value, need to up that when new engine & gearbox get's done, and a few other mods! )

1986 Suzuki Mighty Boy
Previous Next
Valuation Prices
* Private Price Guide $800 - $1,800
* Average Km -
* Price When New (RRP) $7,965
Quick Info
Price (rrp) $7,965
Body Utility
No. Doors 2
Seat Capacitiy 2

Tell the insurance company to try buy a clean & tidy mighty boy with life left in it for under $3000 - they 99% likly won't be able to. So that has to be the minimum value you value your mighty boy at. Anyone who get's one cheaper in GWO is very lucky!

If you call Suzuki you mighy be surprised what spares they still stock. Tailgates & bumpers were available not long ago still, as New Old Stock. Give em a call with a list & see what you can get!

Good luck & use Mowog's & mine advise about the insurance company trying to take your car!

suzutey -> The owner of the mighty boy got RIPPED OFF for that $300. He/She should have kept the $2800 and kept their car, the other company has no right or claim to take the vehicle to get paid out!

Cheers & good luck to the OP! Stick it to the insurance company that is trying to f*ck you out of your Mighty Boy!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
JohnnyB

On my Cervo Mode when some one ran up the back of me i got paid out $2800 for a dint on the tailgate and a scratch on the rear bumper. This was all from the other insurance company
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]
scott7

dont forget that when are not insured and it is someone elses fault you have to do all the chasing. that is money for the repairs, parts and someone to do it
insure for third party property the only thing the insurance company does for you is chase the money. you still chase parts and repairing
for the price of full insurance the insurance company does all the chasing for money (particually if at fault driver is very pig headed about paying) and parts all you have to organise is where to get it repaired
always get quotes for insurance for both third party property and full insurance
the difference in price for me 10 months ago was
third party property 200
full insurance 300
for the value of 3000
as all of you know chasing some parts can be a nightmare so for myself, 100 extra is money well spent
the other side is if you not insured at all and you are the at falt driver and ding a eg BF GT falcon say goodbye to house/cars/lifestyle to pay for repairs.
it does happen
MACK MEATY BITE
ToranaGuy

What was the outcome of all the drama?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
motorheadmatt

they ended up giveing me a check for $440 for the damages

i had 100 dollars on the transfer fee..... they said we could just pay me thw 100 dollars instead if they wanted to.

I didnt really care, i was over it....all i need is a new front bar, the rest isnt noticable