headlight warning buzzer set up

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
jason

just wondering if anyone has had any success with the lumen head lamp warning buzzer hwb-5. i recently purchased one and have been trying to get it set up without any success. as suggested by it i run red from headlight fuse holder and black to the radio which only runs when ignition is on but it sounds constantly. there is always 12v going into the headlight fuse but i dont know enough about electrics to diagnose the problem. i tried to see if i could run it from the headlight itself with the hope that it would need to run through a switch first but it still doesnt work. by doesnt work i mean it is either buzzing all of the time or none of the time.
any suggestions - im sick of forgetting to turn them off and getting a nice suprise when i go to drive away hours later. my previous warning system was my 7 yr old but she has been fired based on a poor performance review.
Brayden

I'm using a cheapo $5 buzzer I bought a few years ago from SuperCheap. 3 wire setup from memory: One wire to headlight fuse, the other to IGN wire, and earth.

Works perfectly, but I'll double check the wiring - it has been a few years since I installed it.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jason

thanks for that, another thing that i just thought about - is brake fluid conductive? my master cylinder leaks a bit and the fuse box has a bit in it. could this be an issue?
jason

i have also just discovered that by wiring it up the way they suggest put power to the radio which will kill the battery quicker than leaving the lights on. there must be another way - either that or they arent suited to the boys
Ralf the RR

How about this:

Buzzer connected with:
12V from headlight when powered.
Earth from door switch.

I like simplest things
Harry
Oil leaks are a factory rust prevention option
jason

sounds good, one problem is that i dont have a door switch. thanks for the suggestion though.
CHR15 N

To find a headlight wire: Pull off the big circle of wires that plug in behind the dash for easier access, and connect the positive wire to the 'Red with yellow tracer' wire found in the big circle of wires, (which is the power to the dash display lights) And I'd recommend connecting the negative onto your door button.
ie. Headlights + Door open = buzzer.

Works for me.

But as you dont have a door button, make one. you'd be able to pick up a door switch from jay-car or Dicksmith. Suzuki hatch have them standard located at the lower rear corner of the door, the mb has a circle but no hole drilled. And for memory there is an earth wire ready to go at that location.
mowog

better to wire it through the ignition switch with a relay so the headlights only work when the ignition is on, like the subarus. they have a separate parking light switch.my kia has the buzzer its a pain in the arse cos sometimes in a hurry i jump out slam the door and head off and don't hear the buzzer, other times I sit there and wonder why the buzzer won't stop,because it buzzes when you leave the door open or ajar, when the headlights are on, when the seatbelts are not done up,I really really hate it and one day will find out how to kill it..