Trying to get the Boy going again

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
jono

I pulled out the sensor today and stuck a mulitmeter in to test for resistance and it said only around 160 ohms... I am guessing this is too low, I'm not sure what the specification would be?
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
jono

Ended up getting a new pickup from a Charade dizzy my old man found at the wreckers. Looks pretty much identical. Wired that pickup in to the broken one so now I just have to put that back in my dizzy and hope it fixes the problem!!!

If it does I only have to worry about the battery, pits and registration... oh and $$$ :!:
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

ToranaGuy

Interesting. Charade 3 pot dizzy?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
jono

Yep.
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

ToranaGuy

jono wrote:Yep.
Any idea what year charade it's from?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
kei_spec_rsr

The ems dualsport is usually a fairly reliable ecu i have owned 3 in the past.

if you are still using a distributor setup with 3 trigger pulses you should not need the sync signal. the sync is only for sequencing multi coils and sequential injection or when there is more trigger teeth than cylinders.

are you using the standard 4 core cas loom for your dissy?? make sure the outer shielding on the 4 core cas loom is grounded to prevent interferance.

im not sure how well the suzuki magnetic sensor works with the ems. im currently setting up my f6a with the dualsport and i have set it up to fire multi coils im using a modified toyota 1ggze cas which uses a 24 tooth magnetic trigger and a single tooth sync. 24 tooth sensor is great because you can use it on any engine whos number of cylinders can equally divide in to 24 using whole numbers EG.1,2,3,4,6,8,12

I also have a f5a optical/hall effect dissy and a f6a magnetic dissy which im about to put in the for sale section if your after one.
Parting out the alto
Need it all gone asap

wrecking cc72v alto
stevan_istheman

kei_spec_rsr wrote:I also have a f5a optical/hall effect dissy and a f6a magnetic dissy which im about to put in the for sale section if your after one.
Hmmm... 8)
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
kei_spec_rsr

Sorry i forgot to add that the dizzys are both dohc dizzys,i keep forgetting that these engines come in single cam aswell :oops: do they use the same pick up as single cam dissys?
Parting out the alto
Need it all gone asap

wrecking cc72v alto
ToranaGuy

kei_spec_rsr wrote:Sorry i forgot to add that the dizzys are both dohc dizzys,i keep forgetting that these engines come in single cam aswell :oops: do they use the same pick up as single cam dissys?
Good Question. Maybe Brayden know's the answer to that?

I'd imagine it probably wouldn't fit a SOHC engine as a drop in replacement, but parts might be swappable from inside the dizzy.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

DOHC distributors are completely different setup to SOHC units. You might be able to pilfer some bits and graft it into a SOHC dissy but in all honesty you'd be better adapting a G10A electronic unit.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jono

kei_spec_rsr wrote:The ems dualsport is usually a fairly reliable ecu i have owned 3 in the past.

if you are still using a distributor setup with 3 trigger pulses you should not need the sync signal. the sync is only for sequencing multi coils and sequential injection or when there is more trigger teeth than cylinders.

are you using the standard 4 core cas loom for your dissy?? make sure the outer shielding on the 4 core cas loom is grounded to prevent interferance.

im not sure how well the suzuki magnetic sensor works with the ems. im currently setting up my f6a with the dualsport and i have set it up to fire multi coils im using a modified toyota 1ggze cas which uses a 24 tooth magnetic trigger and a single tooth sync. 24 tooth sensor is great because you can use it on any engine whos number of cylinders can equally divide in to 24 using whole numbers EG.1,2,3,4,6,8,12

I also have a f5a optical/hall effect dissy and a f6a magnetic dissy which im about to put in the for sale section if your after one.
I'm not sure about the CAS loom, I bought the whole setup off a guy on the forums a while back:

Efi setup:
EMS Dualsport Aftermarket computer tuned for f8b
Relay block
EMS igniter
wirring loom
all new sensors
Bosh high power electronic ignition
EFi Manifold
throttle body
injectors
fuel rail
Modified and locked distributer with magnetic pickup
bigger feed fuel line (use your current feed as return line)
vl turbo high pressure pump
Genuine Facit low pressure pump
fuel filters
hpc coated inlet pipe with ram filter
custom radiator piping

It worked for quite a while with the magnetic pickup but I agree that it is not the best setup.

I installed the new pickup and saw a big difference in the readout on the computer in terms of the engine RPM on crank - it stayed around 400-600 RPM with only one or two jumps which might be due to some interference from bad earths etc.

Anyway, I think I need to put in some fresh fuel (it has been sitting in the tank for around a year), throw in a new battery (or jump start it till I can afford a new battery) and see if I can get the damn thing going!!!
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

Jermaine

well yesterday matti and my self travled 3 hrs to hobart and picled jono's old mb up, berni his ex gf has it now, she wants it converted back to carby, so im gonna swap it all back, as i have a couple of carbys and stuff,

before we started rippin it all out, i tested for spark, and as jono said in a previose post, when u turn the key to ignition u get a spark from the coil, and a a couple of seconds later it did it again, this dsnt always happen, there is no spark when u wind it over,

jono said he changed the pick up modual to a charade one, it only has to wires, and the plug that is on the end of it has 3 wires, so im wondering if the F6a modual had 3 wires?
and is it possible if the sensor is wired in wrong, would it cause it to spark like it is?
i pulled back some of the tape around the loom, and its pretty messy..does anyone know if the wiring loom would be the f6a one or supplied with the ecu?
Jermaine

well had a bit more of a look tonight, and found the ems manual in the mightyboy,
it looks at tho jono has wired in the new sensor usin the charades plug but im still unsure as its been cut and joined in a few differnt spots.. the more i look at it the easier it is becoming to understand lol.. i think in need to find out if a dodgey pickup modual would cause it to do what its doin..
Billie

Wouldnt anything thats not done right, especially on something with the ignition make it not work? Fix it up, then it should work.

Why done you run the f6a dizzy?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Jermaine

ahhh what what? none of that made sence haha