Help needed with wierd spark problem

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
jono

Ok, I'm am struggling with this one.

Only getting spark when ignition is turned to the 'ON' position but not while cranking :?

Coil has been replaced, leads are showing up ok on the multimeter, WTF is going on!?!?!?
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
gadj

Unless I am mistaken, you appear to have a problem with the ballast resistor
that is the white ceramic block connected to the coil.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
jono

I don't have one, sorry should have said it is EFI. Also, getting no RPM signal while cranking...
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

Jermaine

is it the new crank angle sensor u put on?
Brayden

When you say you're getting spark with the ignition "ON" you mean the engine is running yeah?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jono

Brayden wrote:When you say you're getting spark with the ignition "ON" you mean the engine is running yeah?
No, just when I turn the key to that position. We had a timing light and it flashed only when turning it to on but not while cranking.

Jermaine: I'm not sure. It shows better resistance than the old one.

Another wierd thing is that the ECU is showing no RPM signal, even though it was a couple of days earlier, with the new crank angle sensor installed.

Beats me.
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

Jermaine

how r u cherking spark? makin it jump a gap or something? put the old sensor on nd see if it changes it?
Brayden

I don't understand how you get spark without the engine running (or cranking). The engine needs to be turning to produce spark.
jono

Brayden wrote:I don't understand how you get spark without the engine running (or cranking). The engine needs to be turning to produce spark.
I don't either, but I have seen the spark when I have grounded it on the distributor and also when the timing light flashed.

I'm going to give him to my ex (we bought it together a while back) and she can deal with it.

Maybe one day, when I am earning more than I am now (first year out sucks) he will live again, but until then it looks like I might be in the market for another car :cry:
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

Brayden

Or I'll swap your troublesome EFI gear (+ cash) for a working F8B carby and distributor. :lol:
jono

Brayden wrote:Or I'll swap your troublesome EFI gear (+ cash) for a working F8B carby and distributor. :lol:
Haha, don't tempt me in going back to carby!!!

I did have a 30DIC Weber on it before the EFI. I just think it would be a pain mucking around with the fuel lines and all the other stuff to downgrade.

The only other thing I can think of is getting a whole new EFI setup including loom and ECU etc, since the EMS one is a bit dated and is probably routed.
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

mowog

you can get a spark without the motor running just turn the ignition on and turn the motor by hand so the dissy lobe is just lining up with the sensor and turn the dissy slightly by hand, (have a lead disconnected and a spare plug plugged in and earthed ) and you will see a spark. I am not familiar with the efi on these, but just being efi does not mean you don't need a coil, just that most efi units run on the full 12 volts. is the coil 12 volts ? try the original coil bypass the ballast, that should work temporarily and will check if the new coil is faulty. even if you can't bypass the ballast you should still see a spark at the plug if you disconnect a lead from its plug and bung as spare plug on and make sure it is earthed and crank it over.
otherwise it is possible the module in the distributor is faulty.
I have a dissy off a swift GTI if that helps. never ran it had visions of converting to run the F5a but never got sround to it.