buying a car

Chat about anything and everything.
mowog

looking at travelling to ACT/NSw next year, will fly to probably Sydney, buy a cheap car and do some touring.
Have checked out Trading post but the prices seem a bit steep.
Which is the best place (ACT/NSW??)to get a car, and what is the best way to find one?
Looking to spend maybe 5 grand, less if possible.
Tez

Hey Mowog.
Where are you coming from, & what sort of car are you looking for? :-o
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Brayden

On average, cars in Canberra are more expensive than Sydney because the quality is better - they do less stop/start driving and there's very little chance of rust considering we're 200km from the ocean. ;)

What sort of quality you'll get for $5k or less depends entirely on what make/models you are interested in, or more importantly which ones you wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.

Considering you are planning on touring I assume you'd be after something large-ish with decent fuel economy. I would suggest a mid-90's 2.2L Camry. They are common and reliable. Nissan Pulsars are also decent value.

If you want to buy from Canberra then check out www.allclassifieds.com.au - I might even be able to inspect the car for you if necessary.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mowog

Will be travelling from perth Wa.
Thanks for the offer Brayden, will see how it goes for inspection.
Wouldn't mind an FC wagon if one came up in decent condition, not necessarily rego as it will be going back to WA anyway.
However, realistically, looking for something with power steering, auto, easy resale, probably Camry is about as large as I need, although do like the station wagons (good for carting parts back in) and toyotas generally have good resale.
something collectible like a yank tank would be interesting although most likely would be too large.
Brayden

I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend touring, or buying parts and fixing the car. ;) :lol:
scott7

also consider the availability of parts on the way back if you driving.
anything common would be a good guess.
you dont wont to be struck halfway across the nullabor and have to need a $10 part normally and ends up costing hundreds to ship out to you?
MACK MEATY BITE
stevan_istheman

Can't go past a toyota for relyability...
My cruiser has over 450,000k's and the diffs are still fine. (waiting to put lockers in)

Bang for buck wise... probably commodore wagon.
Dime a dozen, parts are cheap as dirt and anyone with a hint of mechanical knowledge knows the things backwards.
That being said... boring, boring cars. too common for my liking. :wink:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
mowog

OK have booked flight to Canberra for 9/3 we will be spending couple of days/nights in Canberra either buy something or go on to Brisbane, or go to Sydney and buy something there, depends on how we feel at the time, probably get on a bus or cheap flight, see what happens.
Now I need to know of decent caravan parks or motels, what is the weather usually like around mid March? Also are there any conferences etc that might cause congestion?
Will be checking papers a bit closer to departure, not much point in doing asnything now.
I do tend to a Commodore, easy to get parts and most mechanics know what to when one presents itself. Are there car auction places tin Canberra? Might be able to pick up something there.
Won't be packing much baggage if it won't fit into an airline bag or be worn on body it won't be coming.
that way no baggage to get lost or hold us up.
Steven Cruisers are fine but a cheaper one usually is cheaper for a reason and parts are very expensive and not easiest to work on.
Brayden

Pickles are the only local place that do vehicle auctions, every Thursday.
http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/auctions ... r&x=27&y=7

Compared to Perth the weather here is cold no matter what time of year. My girlfriend is from Perth and she's still not used to it after 6 years.

Decent accomodation at reasonable prices is best found through www.wotif.com. The cheapest of the cheap you'll find in Queanbeyan, but there are some reasonable places closer to the city. During March we have the Canberra Festival happening, including the Hot Air Balloon Festival and Skyfire - our annual fireworks spectacular.
stevan_istheman

mowog wrote:Steven Cruisers are fine but a cheaper one usually is cheaper for a reason and parts are very expensive and not easiest to work on.
So true... i've dropped easy 5k into mine and it's not even on the road yet... haha!
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
gadj

Used to work in spare parts, my employers absolutely love Toyota's & scoffed at my reasoning to my love of Suzuki & Isuzu (Holden) vehicles.
It didn't take me long to realize that even though they were right about Toyota parts being comparatively cheaper - Toyota parts were keeping up business. Suzuki, Holden/Isuzu, Mazda & Daihatsu parts were appearing to last longer & aside from basic maintenance parts we didn't sell nearly the volume.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
mowog

thanks Brayden will be only staying over for 2 or 3 nights so don't mind paying a bit more to be close to town. otherwise would have to rent a car and that would add to cost anyway.
Brayden

The cheapest place close to the city is usually Capital Executive Apartments in Braddon, not to be confused with Medina Executive, which is just down the road. CEA is within 5 minutes walk from the city centre, and a $10-15 taxi ride from any of the major attractions.