Camshaft & Crankshaft Alignment

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Billie

Yeah mechanics like that are the best to work with. Does anyone in brisbane have a timing light? Or know how to use it if i got one? Want it running so i can check a few things, before i get the road worthy, brake lights arent working now, grrr.
mowog

there are 2 sorts of timing light one you remove no1 spark plug lead and hook the wire on then plug the lead in, the other you just clip a lead over the spark plug wire, no disconnection required, the second is the best because it is easier to hook up, also with modern cars with electronic ignition the computer can be damaged by using the older type. the mighty boy is the older type but you mgiht as well buy the newer timing light so you can use it on other cars. they can be picked up for next to nothing at swap meets or garage sales or hock shops, or new for around $30.
you will probably have it for the next 10 year or more so maybe buy new.
Billie

Yeah, good point, i'll head down to supercheap tomorrow, need some g/box oil anyway, Gotta see if my reverse beep works lol. I watched a few vids on youtube about timing lights and so on. My flywheel already had a red dot, but it was on 8 degrees before tdc, would that matter if i got it on 8 instead of 7? Going by the videos you can muck around with it to get the most performance. is that right?. Im still worried im going to turn it on, and something will go bang, followed by abit of crank through my hood. If i have the dizzy set up like i said, it wouldnt matter how many times the cam went around would it? because its set to ignition, as its on 7 degrees before tdc. I'll report back tomorrow how i go, wish me luck, i'll need it.
ToranaGuy

You should be right mate. Worst thing that could happen, you throw the timing out too far & it won't run, or it will start to fire thru the intake & get flames up thru the carby, followed by a stall. Might also fire too late & throw flames out the exhaust but don't stress.

If you followed the manual correct you will find the timing should be pretty close to spon on when checked with the timing light.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Billie

Lol i like the sound of flames out the back, but i can do that easily without messed up timing, flames out the carbie doesnt sound to good, might melt my new air filter lol.
Billie

I uploaded pics of my engine in, plus a few others, take a look if you want. Album is under billie
Billie

I bought a timing light gun today, still skeptic about using it, and starting the engine. Anyone want a case of beer to do it for me?
ike849

back firing through the carby can actually do good as it forces things to go the opposite way they usually go, thus cleaning the small jet orifices and dislodging any gunk in there....
[url=http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/ike849/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]
Billie

Wow, thats interesting, as long as the bonnets up, should be all good, would it pay to take my air fiilter off, as its new and i like the shape it is.
ToranaGuy

nova_66 wrote:Wow, thats interesting, as long as the bonnets up, should be all good, would it pay to take my air fiilter off, as its new and i like the shape it is.
Yes it would, and yes you can deliberately make the engine back fire thru the carby to help resolve carby issues from gunk & crap blocking it up. It's not very orthodox but it works. ;-) IIRC you swap #2 & #3 leads backwards, give it a kick in the guts & bobs ya uncle. Been a while since i've had to do it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

Ohh, i only knew how to do it out the back, just put clutch in, turn off, pump throttle, and put ignition back on. It wont like catch on fire will it? Thatd suck if it did.
ToranaGuy

nova_66 wrote:Ohh, i only knew how to do it out the back, just put clutch in, turn off, pump throttle, and put ignition back on. It wont like catch on fire will it? Thatd suck if it did.
Nah, not if you only run it for a couple of seconds, it will not catch fire.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

Its on the ground and looking good. Battery just got a good charge overnight and just have to put front bits on, cant work out which way that little bit of metal goes. And damn brake lights. When i put my foot on the brake, the brake lights dont come on, but the high beam light on the dash does.
Brayden

The problem with your lights is a blown fuse or bad earth. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Thanks, i'll check them now.