Valve stem seals

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Billie

Hey, do you need to remove the cylinder head to change the valve stem seals? Thanks.
Brayden

Yes.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Crap :(

Would it damage my car not doing them for awhile?
Brayden

Not really, just means the car burns oil and fouls the plugs.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Oh ok. I'll wait a few months, and get the valves changed to, maybe reground cam :P

Thanks.
ike849

you can remove the stem seals without removing the head.....you just need an air supply and then pressurise the cylinder through the spark plug hole so the valve doesn't drop.

In saying that you are far better off taking the head off and inspecting it for damage and doing a general clean up around the squish area/piston tops....

also if you lose pressure from the air supply and a valve does drop you will be taking the head off anyway....
[url=http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/ike849/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]
Billie

The head was off a month ago. Pistons and all look good. The head seemed to be in good condition.

The air liner won't work if the rings are buggered. I think mine are ok.

I have the valve stem seals here, might take it to a mechanic, and see if he's able to do it without taking the head off, if not, it can wait.

Thanks.
Tez

I would think that if you take it to a mechanic, he would take the head off to do that...
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Billie

I just gave him a call, he said depending on the head design, he has a tool he can use, that holds the valve, so it doesnt drop, or he can use a air liner as long as rings are in good nic, or worse case take the head off. I'll take it to him, if he can do it without taking the head off then i'll get it done, if not, it can wait.

Thanks.
Billie

Cars at mechanics, he said he can do them without taking head off, he use to have a regular mighty boy in there, he loves my engine start button lol. On the way there, i was in 4th, probaly should of been in 3rd, put my foot down and revs shot up, slipping clutch? Oh well, he'll tell me whats wrong.