Swift/Mighty boy suspension

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Billie

i agree with Brayden. Pedders did my wheel bearings, they put the wrong size spacer in my rear hubs.
Breyten

Would be appreciative if you could post the part numbers of whatever it is that you do buy. :)
Some of the brands have changed numbering schemes, or just dont list all the parts available for online searching.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
Husky

Im suppose to be picking up a pair of monroe shocks today. I will let you know the numbers assuming all is good :-o FYI I took off my standard left shock last night and the number is KYB 41800-78010 & UJ14.
Cheers
Brayden

So you've ordered Swift struts? If so, you'll need to source the upper spring base and roller bearing assembly from somewhere.

A new set of strut caps would also be a good investment if your current ones are showing signs of age.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Husky

At this stage I have just ordered the rear shocks.
I will look into the struts later, I have to sought the SA swift brake lines first.
Breyten

Brake lines are easy if you are willing to cough up... you could probably find it locally, but Perth Brake parts said ~$50/side in standard, or ~$100/side in braided. Made-to-order from provided sample, ADR approved/stamped.

Will know by next week if I am going to have to persue fixing brakes and other bits before roadworthy.
Husky

Just an update with the shocks,
I ordered the wrong ones they were the Monroe V2501. They have a similar stroke length however are twice as thick. Made for a full size van/ute.
The shop rang KYB and gave them the MB shock part number. As you know it is no longer made. Long story short they have stock of Hatch(ss80v) shocks which have slightly less travel which will not matter. Price is around $180 a pair. I will have them friday arvo and will give price and part numbers.
Cheers :)
Brayden

First I have heard of the Hatch shocks having less travel. The OEM KYB units have the same part numbers for SS80V and SS40T.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Husky

From what I was understanding of the conversation with the guy in the store and KYB they had slightly less travel(maybe 3 leaf set up?) Either way I will have all numbers and measuremnts soon and will post it up. :)
Husky

As promised the details on the shocks I bought are as follows
KYB Excel-G number 342018
these shocks are 407mm c-c fully extended and 260mm c-c fully compressed.
Please note a slight modd is required for fitting
The top mount is the same width however the bottom mount is 32mm wide vs old 26mm.
It is necessary to grind sand away 6mm (3mm from each side) from metal insert/sleeve. This is more due to the fact that there needs to be enough thread left on the mount to put nut and washer.
Cheers :)
Breyten

Tthanks.
Those are gas, yeah?
Husky

Gday Breyten,
Yes they are Nitrogen gas shocks :wink:
Husky

So Ive fit all the bushes front and rear. Ive been driving it for around 2 weeks. There is now a slight squeak from the front right.
Last night I though it might not have enough grease. So i removed the sway bar and lower control arm and put heaps of grease and still no change. Up on stands I turn the wheel(left to right) and its making the noise as well, as when its on the ground and I push the suspension up and down.
Im thinking the tie rod on the steering? Any one had this? :?
ike849

put some grease on the plates the strut tops rotate on...you will have to remove the springs to do this.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/ike849/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]