Wheel track front and rear

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Husky

Just a note of interest regarding wheel tracks.
On doing a wheel allignment on my front wheels. It is common knowlegde that the rear wheel track is narrower than the front, However what I have found on my MB is That the left front wheel sticks out around 15mm more than the front right...
Does this sound right? Can other people confirm this on there MB?
holk

Not in any of my 3 boys. If the car has been involved in any sort of accident,(even small panel damage) most probably the quarter panel on one side has been mounted on bent tabs and is slightly off the mark.
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
Husky

Thanks holk for the reply,
The car looks straight and drives well. Even before I converted to manual and had the auto subframe in it was the same deal.
Its 15mm approx out relative Measured to the rear Wheel(left) But I can also notice it relative to the front guard.
The rear wheels look to be the same distance inside the rear guards
Can you confirm 100% that the front wheels are the same distance out each side from the rear? I was thinking its designed this way as being right hand drive?
Otherwise Im at a lost to explain it :?:
I have new LCA and the wheel allignment is spot on. What else can affect where the front wheels sit :?:
Billie

Anything to do with the sa struts maybe?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Husky

It was like that before the strut change and hasnt changed since. I guess there are 2 things that I can think would affect front wheel track
1. LCA
2. Drive shaft

If the drive shaft was too long then the camber would be way out as the LCA would pull the hub in at the bottom.
The subframe can only bolt up 1 way and the engine and gearbox only have 1 mount they can bolt into. The LCA can only bolt up 1 way?
KEVIN

Maybe different wheel offsets, Try swapping wheels side to side!
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
KEVIN

Maybe different wheel offsets, Try swapping wheels side to side!
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
Jermaine

drive shaft wouldnt change it, as it wouldnt fit if it was that far out, id say kev is on the money with the wheel bing diff..
Husky

I will check the stamp on the wheels but I highly doubt it as there mass produced? Good point anyhow
If someone whos 100% certain there MB hasnt been crashed and there wheel allignment is spot on where to check there wheel track relative to the rear and the front guards then we would know what direction to head.
ToranaGuy

Mine is out a tad on the left hand side, i have not measured it, but it wasn't when i first got the boy. Here is what i can tell you about my issue....
  • 1. The ute was pranged in the left front & straightened out - alignment within factory specs
    2. It was ok with stock wheels
    3. It was ok with 13x5.5 rims with 165/65 R13 rubber on them
    4. I had a wheel bearing failure - i just replaced the whole stub axel, bearing & hub assembly with one i had lying around
    5. The replacement setup is supposed to be 85 hatch, but it might be 85 swift
    6. I have not got around to removing the failed bearing from the original hub & stub axel, i have a replacement bearing, i should do this!
    7. I currently run 15x5 rims with 165/45 R15's. Edge of the guard is right near the edge of the tyre - there is 5mm or so more clearance on drivers side
    8. If i get good weather this w/e i will swap on the original mighty boy stub & hub setup & see what happens. Providing I'm not working all w/e.
Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
me217

i dunno bout my mighty boy but i no my sierras front wheels sit slightly to one way. maybe its just the fact that the cars were made so cheap.
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.