Introduce yourself!

Chat about anything and everything.
Tez

Hi Ronnie.
Welcome to the forum.
About the very largest donk that can be shoe-horned into a MB and got road legal is 1.3L and that is an absolute shed-load of work and money and real dedication to achieve.

People have put V6's and V8's into MB's - they use them for burnout buggies... Plenty of footage on Youtube, but never to be taken onto the road.

If you want quick road car, it can be done well with 0.8L and less.

Cheers
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Becstella

Tez wrote:Hi Bec!

Welcome to the forum :)

Insidious things, these Mighty Boys... They get under your skin and you just gotta have one! :lol:

When looking for your car, give more preference to good bodywork over the mechanicals - Max should be able to sort it mechanically, but bodywork is a major project if it's not already in reasonable condition...

Good luck hunting!

Cheers

Hey Tez,
We have had quite a disheartening week or two looking for MB #2 :cry:
We have been to see a couple that were advertised as roadworthy/reliable - neither could be driven which was upsetting, plus both had quite considerable body defects such as rust (both surface and, I suspect, more) as well as the fact that both were left out in the weather for a while. Neither were registered either which makes it hard.
So, I am picking myself up, dusting myself off and reminding myself that these things don't happen overnight. I have a couple more options but they are a bit of a distance away. One thing I will say is its a big learning curve for me :baby:
In the meantime we shall spend our days perfecting MB #1 :lol:
Cheers,
Bec

PS: How is your MB coming along now? :)
Tez

Hi Bec.
My MB was sold as a running concern without Reg and was transported down to Croydon Vic from Inner QLD somewhere (can't quite remember now).
I had been watching Ebay for over six months before this car came up.
By the time this car came up, I had firmed up what I was looking for...
Needed to be running (tick)
Needed to be reliable (apparently tick)
Preferably Not White (a personal thing) (Not tick - it is white!)

The car seemed to meet most of what I wanted, and was running, and seemed to be a bargain compared to some others I had see come up and go, so I paid the buy it now price ($1900) and then another $700 to get it transported down from QLD. It turned up on the biggest car transporter I've ever seen! - or maybe that's just how the 'Boy made it appear! :lol:
BILD0007.JPG
So I set about fixing the obvious stuff - new wiper blades, change the oil & filter, coolant, fuel, etc... as you do, and then took it in for a preliminary road-worthy-test. The guy picked some stuff I hadn't considered, but was a relatively easy fix, and a couple of harder things to sort, but I soon had them done, and back for the permit. Next off to VicRoads for some plates! :D
Then the fun began. It started with carby issues (finaly got that sorted professionally - there's a big writeup in here on that if you care to search) and then the head gasket went about three months into having it on the road. Again a mechanical failure (not bodywork!), and got that sorted about two years ago. - (A few niggling issues at the moment are crapping me off, but I think I might have sorted them too now!)
I discovered this forum early in the piece and have found it to be an invaluable resource, and all the people on it, from all walks of life, and of all sorts of ages are all really friendly and helpful. I try to do my bit. I saw lots of chatter about there never being a cruise organised, and having never been in a Car Club as such, had no idea what was involved. Eventually another local forum member put a "cruise" together, so I jumped onboard and had a great day. Furthermore, I realised that planning a cruise is not an onerous task so had a go at my own, and have put together 5 local cruises, participated in 7 now and two "Alburys". There is a thread in the cruise section that outlines how I put a cruise together. I am no mechanical wizard (There are several members in this forum who are) and so I try to contribute in other ways, whilst learning all the time. and having fun.

Keep an eye out on Trading posts, Gumtree, Ebay and other places. Mighty Boy sales seem to be fairly dynamic - they are always coming up and going - Don't get dispondent - eventually you'll find one that will be in the right condition at the right price. If it is a long way away, simply factor freight into the cost - If it still ticks the boxes, get it.
Having met you and Max amongst the other Guys at Albury, if one comes up locally, and knowing you're actively looking, of course I'll make you aware. Anyone willing to restore a MB deserves a break!
Best of luck hunting.
Tez
Becstella

Tez wrote:Hi Bec.
My MB was sold as a running concern without Reg and was transported down to Croydon Vic from Inner QLD somewhere (can't quite remember now).
I had been watching Ebay for over six months before this car came up.
By the time this car came up, I had firmed up what I was looking for...
Needed to be running (tick)
Needed to be reliable (apparently tick)
Preferably Not White (a personal thing) (Not tick - it is white!)

The car seemed to meet most of what I wanted, and was running, and seemed to be a bargain compared to some others I had see come up and go, so I paid the buy it now price ($1900) and then another $700 to get it transported down from QLD. It turned up on the biggest car transporter I've ever seen! - or maybe that's just how the 'Boy made it appear! :lol:
BILD0007.JPG
So I set about fixing the obvious stuff - new wiper blades, change the oil & filter, coolant, fuel, etc... as you do, and then took it in for a preliminary road-worthy-test. The guy picked some stuff I hadn't considered, but was a relatively easy fix, and a couple of harder things to sort, but I soon had them done, and back for the permit. Next off to VicRoads for some plates! :D
Then the fun began. It started with carby issues (finaly got that sorted professionally - there's a big writeup in here on that if you care to search) and then the head gasket went about three months into having it on the road. Again a mechanical failure (not bodywork!), and got that sorted about two years ago. - (A few niggling issues at the moment are crapping me off, but I think I might have sorted them too now!)
I discovered this forum early in the piece and have found it to be an invaluable resource, and all the people on it, from all walks of life, and of all sorts of ages are all really friendly and helpful. I try to do my bit. I saw lots of chatter about there never being a cruise organised, and having never been in a Car Club as such, had no idea what was involved. Eventually another local forum member put a "cruise" together, so I jumped onboard and had a great day. Furthermore, I realised that planning a cruise is not an onerous task so had a go at my own, and have put together 5 local cruises, participated in 7 now and two "Alburys". There is a thread in the cruise section that outlines how I put a cruise together. I am no mechanical wizard (There are several members in this forum who are) and so I try to contribute in other ways, whilst learning all the time. and having fun.

Keep an eye out on Trading posts, Gumtree, Ebay and other places. Mighty Boy sales seem to be fairly dynamic - they are always coming up and going - Don't get dispondent - eventually you'll find one that will be in the right condition at the right price. If it is a long way away, simply factor freight into the cost - If it still ticks the boxes, get it.
Having met you and Max amongst the other Guys at Albury, if one comes up locally, and knowing you're actively looking, of course I'll make you aware. Anyone willing to restore a MB deserves a break!
Best of luck hunting.
Thanks Heaps Tez ... Like Max said today "when we are not looking so intently is when one will appear" :)
I will keep you posted, but so far I am contacting a few people who have them for sale - a couple on carsales at the moment, one on gumtree, one on trading post... and will let you know how I go!
Thanks for the pic :lol: He does look awfully lonely on that big freighter
:)
Twinkee

Hey Bec, trust me you will find one just slow down the looking and it will pop up. Mine we were not even looking for one, now i have had it now almost 12months and it now runs and drives. hope you find one. Twinkee (Louise) :thumbup2:
What more can I say, I own a Red MIGHTY BOY
(2 speed auto 1988)
bnsboy

Hi all we are new here from Victoria we have 5 mightyboys and one 1985 800cc hatch i have been watching this site for a long time and today i was like hmmmmmm whats the forum button do :oops: :NFI: :lol: and i found out you had a forum. and its good i found the forum as we are looking to sell 3 cars and keep our best ones that have rego and i am also going to sell the hatch soon too we love our mightyboys but we have moved on to older vintage cars :crazy: but i have my BNS mightyboy ute that has won trophys at ute shows and also our very low klm red mightyboy that has also won a trophy and its a stock ute right down to klm and full history. i will get some photos soon and hope to read more as my mightyboy has broken a gear linkage and is stuck in reverse :(

cheers
Tez

Hey bnsboy.
Welcome to the forum.
What part of Vic are you in? - Several members from within Vic.
There's a bit of back reading to do if you want to catch up on what's already been said... :-o
Vintage Cars - now there's some dedication.
Post up some pics of yr 'boys... everyone would like to see... :)
Cheers
Tez
bnsboy

Thanks for the welcome :D

We are from Geelong :)

As for the gearbox in my ute well i have 2x 800cc motors waiting to go in a car so it might get a power boost 8)

As for my vintage cars i have ford prefects and anglia's [*note*] that have less power than a mightyboy :crazy:

I have some photos here they are

the white ute is called "cowboy" :lol: all our cars get names
its a 1985 mightyboy ute we have done nothing to the car but we did give it some mags and has won trophys at ute shows

the red ute is called "redmite" is a 1988 ute has a low 72,000 klm from new we have full history and it has its 1st rego still it gets towed to shows not driven as we want to keep the klms down but when driven its like a new car

and the top photo shows our 1985 auto mightboy ute when we did a swap of wheels that ute is now for sale but thats another story :)

cheers
Attachments
S3000011_Twin_Mighty_Boys_on_13Sept.04.jpg
Mighty_Boy_twins77_detail.jpg
Red_Mighty_Boy2.78_detail.jpg
mightyboys.jpg
mightyboys.jpg
soupacharger

hi there..i found you website while looking for a suzuki wagon r parts..im from sabah malaysia and im really glad that theres a forum discussing about suzuki vehicle.im hoping to get as much info about suzuki cars in your forum..cheers..
Radar370

Hi all, Have just purchased a Mighty Boy from Northern NSW and driving to Melb in a couple of weeks to ship to Tassie, Have wanted one for years and finaly got my hands on one. Scarce as hens teeth here in Tassie, 17yo son has big plans to trick up but we will see.
Anyhow thanks for a brilliant website and hope to be able to pick some brains when project gets under way.
Garwanko

Hello all! My name is Adrian and I'm from Poland. I found this Forum during searching the web some information about Alto SS80 model.

Recently I'm proud owner of 1984 SS80 Alto. Below the photo, when i saw the car first time :D

It was very cold February :dead:

Regards :wink:
1984 Suzuki ALTO SS80. Far away from Australia!
3pitter4life

hello here on the other side of the planet.
iám 3 pitter 4 life from holland.
i usually can be found on the www.suzukialtoclub.nl
i sign up here because i cant find good clear high ress pictures of the works rs-r.
i'm building a look a like of this car but i cant find any pictures of the stickers on each side.
i will copy these stickers so it will look like a genuine rsr.

this is mij album -> http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=X7CDG3KQ

and this is the front of my suzuki

and this is mij F8B

yours sincerely 3 PITTER 4 LIFE
3pitter4life

ik had gehoopt dat het suzuki gevoel iets globaler aanwezig was
Tez

ik had gehoopt dat het suzuki gevoel iets globaler aanwezig was
Translation (Via Google Translate): I had hoped there was a more global Suzuki representation (?)

Hi 3pitter4life.

Although it would seem that Suzuki have made a fair effort to sell their wares on the global market, This website and forum is most predominantly populated by Australians who own either a Mighty Boy, a Hatch or a Carry van (and their variants) with a smallish contingent of members from New Zealand and one or two guys in India who have discovered this site...

Although Brayden (site owner) welcomes input from all camps, I would guess the percentages of ownership of the three main types of vehicle represented on this list is something like 70% Mighty Boys and maybe 15% each for Hatches and Carry Vans etc.

The total number of Works Altos in Australia must be very few indeed, and subsequently, representation on this site is also very small.

I don't think anyone is intentionally ignoring you, from the pictures yours is a very nice, but also very rare car here in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Tez
3pitter4life

THANKS FOR THE REPLY
i just hoped that there where more works rs-r owners here.
maby some one has pictures of this car but i gues they are as rare as my care here