Trav's Project Matchbox

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
d34m0n

Hey guys i have viewed this forum a fare bit but finally decided to sign up.

I picked up a 85 Suzuki Hatch with an F8B that had a EFI head put on and the injector ports plugged to keep the carby setup. It's done 220,000km's and starts quicker than any other car i have seen, could have something to do with 7000+ CCA of battery power?

I bought this off my mates pop original owner for $200 minimal rust pretty good nick.

Here it is when i first got it.

Then my dad painted it metal flake metallic blue top, metallic silver bottom, Hasn't been cleared yet but it came out great for his first time painting a car.

Then onto the main reason for this car, the audio!

My hobby is Car audio, anything insanely loud i love.

Specs of the Gear sofar.

6 12" JVC Arsenal 700w rms Subs.
1 1.1 metre l long US Audio Bonecrusher 4,000w rms @ 12v 6000w rms @ 18v
4 150ah Exide Batterys and a 100ah Absorbed power battery in stock location.
Lots of Shock Industrys 0gauge.
A PPI 4ch 110w rms x 4 @ 4ohm (Will do till i get a 1kw 2ch.

I still have to source the pro audio drivers im after, looking to do 2 8's each side and a set of horn loaded tweeters in the dash.

I have got the custom box in to see how it all fits now all i have to do is finish the custom centre console im in the middle of making then rip everything out to make it look pretty :)

EF alternator ^

Mocking up custom center console and headunit mount, using a modified hand brake shroud from a 95 Honda integra.

The weight from the batterys alone caused this :( ^
Anyone know how to get heavy duty rear suspension for these? 300kg of batterys, 100 odd kg of subs and box.

Test fit of all the gear, i have to seal the side rear windows as they flap around like crazy when the bass hits, the car flexes all over which is fun, but i don't see the little brackets holding the side windows in lasting long, so once i got all the gear out for carpeting the car etc ill be sikaflexing them in permanently.
d34m0n

Odd first forum to cut out half of all my pictures lol. But you get the jist of it :)
Breyten

Neat project.
You may need to find a suspension place, and get replacement leaf springs based on the width, length, etc. and uprated a few more hundred kilos.

Have you used any sound deadening on the roof and side panels? I'd also look at welding sheet in front of the window glass on the inside. Seal up the whole cabin as a box.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
Brayden

d34m0n wrote:Odd first forum to cut out half of all my pictures lol. But you get the jist of it :)
The forum won't resize pics that are hotlinked. Use the "upload attachment" function and they'll be resized. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ferdie

hey mate,

with all the gear and power you have the ports are not big enough!!!!

with all that batt power, and amp power go slot port and wall for sure!!!!!

cant wait to see this one end up, u are as sick as i am by the looks....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and on the suspension, any good 4x4 place should be able to have some custom stuff made up for you. thats how all the 4x4 guys get the springs re-set

ps where did you get the batts and how much??
d34m0n

Cheers braydon i saw your car in a vid on the nats yesty love the sound of the turbo.

This is a temp box, no room for a slot port due to this box being made removable etc. The next box will be built in the car with a 30hz slot port at window line, it was hard making a 13cuft box and removable, using winisd it says there is enough port, i get no chuffing.

The batterys i got second hand they are elevator batterys, $150 each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUtiUM0SL7A

A quick vid before my neighbour went nuts :P
ferdie

neighbors must love you....

when you make the slot port box, be sure to make a 25mm mdf insert that attaches to the box but goes right to the windscreen, will be a couple db in it...

also threaded rod to stiffen the front and back of the box will help...

also also, just a thought, when i built the box with 2x12's i had the ports on the back side of the box, facing the hatch, was a couple of db's to be had in that as well....

also also also, i made a mdf cover that strapped over the windscreen, couple of db's in in that as well. helps to tension the whole cab.

i was mainly running in extreme class so anything goes....
d34m0n

With no wall setups allot of people can loose a couple db with to much bracing, as flex can help in a non walled setup, This is a temp box but has plenty of bracing, no flex what so ever in the panels using 2x4 and other braces through out the box, even the ports are braced.

Still have to round over the ports etc.

Loading off the hatch would work if i had the room, you need atleast 4" of space+ so they breath other wise it will choke the port, it loads off the windscreen as it is because the box is right against it and the angle of it means the pressure will go forward. Port facing back sometimes is louder because it allows the sound waves more length to travel and pressurize. But without the space it wouldn't work.

I plan to have a box that goes righ across and back taking up all the space in the rear thus turning the rear hatch into a sort of 6th order bandpass alignment. But atm the current box is mostly for testing purposes so i wasn't overly picky. I just wanted to find the cars weak points and then deaden and strengthen where needed in the build design.
ferdie

by the sounds of it you are all over it...

my guess would be that the weak points will be everything that is not the box :D
d34m0n

Well if you see the quick vid i posted here everything but the box flexes ahaha
d34m0n

Before after suspension.jpg
5 Leaf custom suspension all in :)

Now its off the bumpstops :)