Sound Deadening

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
RetroHatch

Hi all,

Has anyone used sound deadening mats in their hatch? Wondering how many sheets/material you needed.

Also for anyone and any car, what is the best brand of matting you have used?

Any help would be great.
Tailgating my Hatch doesnt increase the horsepower of the F5A
gadj

Have not used mat in the past but have been looking at some really good stuff in Jaycar's range. It would seem that you don't need to cover the whole panel when it comes to doors/guards. The insulating/deadening for floor & firewall does cover the full panel. Deadening for side panels often has a high barium content (heavy) suggesting it simply changes the inertia of that panel. The floor/firewall/bonnet product is much lighter & has the ability to reflect heat as well as deadening. I'm sure your local car sound outlet or Jaycar dealer would be helpful with advice.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ceej

Always used Accumat (from Scosche) myself. Back when I was working in car audio we would always use Accumat on all the big custom jobs.

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/accumat

Gadj is right when it comes to panels/doors you don't necessarily need to cover the entire panel. A small square behind the driver is generally enough for most applications to help with avoiding reverbaration/reflection of the sound. Just depends on what you want in the end and how much you want to spend.
Garry. Nuff sed!