EOI: small car trailers

Need to offload some Suzuki parts? Do it here.
Brayden

I'm in the process of negotiating to have a custom-built trailer made to transport my MightyBoy. The general plan is to make a lightweight, braked trailer that can be towed behind a medium sized, 4 cylinder car:

- Single axle, lightweight design (under 200kg)
- Narrow width (bed width around 100mm wider than an MB)
- Gravity tilt design (requires no ramps)
- Brakes (not sure if electric or hydraulic at this stage)

If I can get the builder interested in making more than one, would anyone else be keen?
These type of trailers usually retail for just over $4k, but early discussions suggest a price tag closer to $3k.
Design will be similar to the following:
P1010766.jpg
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
CHR15 N

although different states have different rules, do you know if this type of trailer would require yearly rego inspections?
Brayden

As far as I know trailers under 4.5t GVM don't require annual inspection.
Breyten

You lost me at Single Axle! ;)

No where near the stage of looking at one, but have had a similar idea to convert an equipment trailer.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
Brayden

Breyten wrote:have had a similar idea to convert an equipment trailer.
I looked into this and found that trailers designed for small equipment (Dingo, ride-on mower) were too narrow, and trailers designed for larger equipment (Bobcat, mini-excavator) weigh more than Jupiter.
Tez

Oh, how I'd love to be in on this!...
But if I suggested to my good lady wife that I was negotiating the procurement of trailer #7 (on our suburban bock) I do believe the next sentence would include the word "divorce"... :-o
I've even thought about selling my 6x4 box trailer, to make room for an 8x5 tandem box trailer (to do the same jobs as the box trailer) but also make it accommodate the MB...
I've also looked long and hard at developing an "A-Frame" that would turn a MB into a trailer of sorts...
But not gone to manufacture with that idea either (yet).
Tez
So the adventure continues...
mowog

all up weight with MB on board would not require brakes as far as I know. should reduce costs a bit. also there are trailers already available that are basically an axle with a tow hitch you hook on to you tow bar and sit the front wheels of the MB on the axle. See Mobi tow.
Brayden

The brakes are required for this particular trailer because it is intended to be towed behind a small/medium car like a Vitara, which generally only have an unbraked limit of 5-600kg, or somewhere around 1200kg with brakes. ;) However if individuals didn't want brakes then they could certainly be removed to save a bit of money.

I also looked into the idea of a "comealong" axle trailer or towing frame, however to use either of these the vehicle being towed must be registered, which makes it absolutely pointless for my needs.
JB

Does this mean the snot rocket is without reg, or is there another MB that we should know about?
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/14529-2/tamon-avatar.jpg[/img]
Brayden

I have a few projects on the go at the moment, but I seem to buy a lot of unregistered MB's, and having a way to move them would make life much easier!