mb has finally bitten the dust up and running again

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
cozza

well boys and girls my little mightyboy adventure has stopped was out fishing and descided to move to a differnt spot, so i jumped in the mb cranked the stereo and took off, was going up a hill when suddenly i noticed a loss in power so i turned off the music and pinned it some more it coughed farted and crawled up the hill on the other side of the hill however there was an allmighty bang which not only frightened the crappa outta me but also made the car have a spew, i managed to pull it over there was oil everywhere, my firts thought was oh mabe the oil filter has exploded (not the first time ive had it happen), but on closer inspection i notice a rather large dent in the bottom of the sump with a nasty gash protrudeing from it, i call up mum and begged her to come tow me home, i didnt even bother unbolting the sump i just pulled out the grinder and cut it off, i got a pretty nice bday prezzy big shards of metal bearing parts conrod bits, and a gouged out bore. now ive been not only upset at the fact that i canot drive my little beast but im bored with looking at it and not being able to do anything with it, so i have come up with a project idea, im thinking on useing wither the rear end from a mazda mx5 or a suzi carry and converting it to rear wheel drive or go get an old feroza and do it up a bit with the mb bod or just scrap the whole idea and throw a big nasty v8 into it and use it for burnouts. any ideas guys.
Last edited by cozza on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToranaGuy

Just drop another engine into it man. Was it a F5a? If so, they are easy to find & cheap.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
CHR15 N

cozza wrote:...throw a big nasty v8 into it and use it for burnouts....
Please dont put a V8 in it. its been done too many times. I hate seeing MBs taken off the road unnecessarily.
Go for an f8B conversion. Easy enough to do, and you will be back in action for the Albury cruise in no time.
ToranaGuy

CHR15 N wrote:
cozza wrote:...throw a big nasty v8 into it and use it for burnouts....
Please dont put a V8 in it. its been done too many times. I hate seeing MBs taken off the road unnecessarily.
Go for an f8B conversion. Easy enough to do, and you will be back in action for the Albury cruise in no time.
A good idea if hands can be laid on a good one. If not, just find a F5a. If you were down in Melb, I've got a F5a you could have real cheap, only needs rings & valve stem seals, but your too far away to make it worth while shipping a f5a.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
cozza

it's allready got an F8B in it and i have 2 f5a's sitting here that are for offroad buggies, im really wanting to put the matiz engine and gearbox in so i can go efi and a descent box for longer drives sick of this around town stuff and screammin on the highway literally screamin. found 2 wrecked matiz but not sure weather they go or not will def buy both put one engine and box in and bomb the other engine with a turbo and stuff and use it as an experiment b4 turboing the mb.
CHR15 N

Sounds good. What are the matiz engines like?
cozza

ok well both engines run and run nicely, one gearbox is knackered big crack in it the other is looking good still goes into gear without any hicups, hopefully i can get then for the right price and not have to sell a kidney to get em.
cozza

well i descided to pull one my f5a spares apart and look at it i stripped it got onto suzistore and ordered a complete rebuild for an F8B ther block was pretty worn so the 800 pistons wer almost a fit just had it honed to fit, ported out the head and manifold, opened up the water galleries in the head a little more for better flow, and used the cam from the old f8b i blew up, had the valves reset so they close completeally and had the whole head pressure tested, with all this being sweet i put it all back together made sure the timeing was lined up hit the starter and off it went ran a little rough at first but adjusted the timeing till it purred like a kitten, so over a carton rum and the help of a mate we put it in the mb with the f8b gearbox, i will say though this little thing seems to wanna pull pretty hard compared to my old f8b it seems to feel like there is a little more pull to it and sits nicely on 100kph @5k rpm and not get over the halfway hot mark. all i wanna do now is get my mags on so it will lower my revs a little and upgrade the radiator so i can go for longer runs along the highway. still the engine is nt running 100% but it is pretty close for a 3 day rebuild.
Tez

Hey Coz...
You said
pull one my f5a spares apart and look at it i stripped it got onto suzistore and ordered a complete rebuild for an F8B ther block was pretty worn so the 800 pistons wer almost a fit just had it honed to fit
Am I reading this correctly? - You bored out (honed was your word) a 543 to accept F8B pistons?

Wow. Didn't know that was do-able!

Well done.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
cozza

it is if you have one of the earlier f5a's from the very early 80's they have a thicker bore i will say i think it will be the only honeing it will have i think it wouldnt be too far off finding water.
Brayden

cozza wrote:we put it in the mb with the f8b gearbox... it and sits nicely on 100kph @5k rpm...
With an F8B gearbox it should sit at closer to 4k at 100kph.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
KEVIN

F5A Bore 62mm - F8B Bore 68.5mm. 6.5mm oversize bore would have to hit water. :?
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
cozza

well mightyboy well and truely buggered, overheated so fierce it blew the radiator cap off while driveing (didnt know it was hot faulty gauge) which resulted in my cracking a wobbly and thrashing it twice as hard as i normally do, which resulted in a fried engine and loseing all but 2nd gear in the gearbox i could not select anything other then second, so now im up for an engine and a gearbox, does anybody have either an f8b and matching box laying around or an f5a and matching box laying around.