Royally Fu#$ed

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
killermule

So.... Since i put my new carby on now and then it would splutter on full throttle, figured it was a tuning problem.

Today, I went to see a client and it got worse. Took air filter top off to find 3 of the screws holding it down were missing.

No pinging, no knocking. Car has a highish idle but the auto choke has seemed to be playing up the last couple days.

I currently have the carby off and am removing the manifold.

WAAAAAAA

has the f8b got some special magic that these screws could have magically dissapeared? And that I will find them in some screw catch can?

Or.... am I pulling apart this bloody thing until I find the missing screws?

Please say its magic!
gadj

Hard to say for certain, I have seen a 1/4 inch nut go right through a Holden 253 V8 & get spat out the exhaust but have also seen small items lunch engines.
I would be acquiring one of those inspection cameras that are being advertised all over the place now (some are very inexpensive & use your smartphone as a monitor)& using it to look down the spark plug holes.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
gadj

So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
killermule

hm... might pop down. problem is the mighty boy is my only car lol. i keep having to go round to mums and steal hers lol.

I pulled the plugs and stuck a magnet on astick thing from supercheap down each hole. didnt find anything.

took off the rocker cover to discover that it seems to have corroded at bits and those holes that around the place (I would describe this better, but I dont have a clue what any of this is lol), some seem to have corroded an inch or so inwards. It looks to me as if its corroded as the edges are all jagged and kind of looks like how rust goes...

Anyway, managed to stick the magnet all the way down to what I would believe is the oil pan, but still didnt find anything.

Started taking off intake manifold but its going to mean I have to take off a crapload more of stuff to get to the 2 bolts at the back of it so I dont think I am going to bother..

Im thinking of just putting it all back together and hoping that they are gone... I mean I could spend $1000+ getting this pulled apart and not find anything...
Tez

Could spend $1000 locating, getting, reconditioning another motor too... :NFI:
Tez
So the adventure continues...
killermule

Tez wrote:Could spend $1000 locating, getting, reconditioning another motor too... :NFI:
Yeh true... Worse case scenario though. If I put it together and 100kms down the road the whole motor fucks up and sheers some crap or siezes. Is this sort of thing fixable? Like if I got another car for a few weeks would I be able to fix it with a mate and get the broken bits replaced / cleaned up at an auto place?

Also... the middle cylinder spark plug has a small bit of corrosion on it and the other 2 dont... The plugs were done 10,000ish ago, just wondering if this has anything to do with my screws...

I stuck the magnet up through the oil drain plug and spun it everywhere for 20 minutes and didnt get anything. Really bloody annoying ha.
Tez

Wow. What a question. :-o

Just exactly how do you plan to action the "100kms down the road the whole motor fucks up and sheers some crap or siezes" :crazy:

If 100 k's down the road, the fuckup / sheer / sieze occurs just when you're not expecting it, (as it will if it's going to) - ( could also terminate by way of a loud bang ), then who are you putting at risk other than yourself? - car doing 80k's - on a bend - motor locks, wheels lock, car slides across road into path of oncoming bus... :dead:

I think for $25 the Jaycar USB camera with built in LED lighting and a picker-upper attached seems a good investment from where I'm sitting... If you get said camera, poke about for an hour or so and STILL see nothing, then $25 well spent - MAYBE they're gone...

Prick of a thing, but stripping the engine until you find or prove their absence is the really only true way to resolve this... Sorry to say.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
killermule

yeh thats my way of thinking too... going to have to get someone to give me a hand pulling the bloody thing apart I think...

And yeh was gonna grab a camera when I could get a car again. But will it fit in any of the holes.. its like 10mm wide isnt it?
killermule

Grabbed a self contained inspection camera from total tools for 75 bucks so gonna have a look around with that.