MIghty Boy Registration Patition to lower cost

Chat about anything and everything.
djflex

Ok I went to re-register my Boy the other day (QLD) and once again was pissed to find out we get charged Commercial registration regardless.

Ok so I owned a 86 suzuki alto before and that was identical in all parts except the body. Rego on that was $320.00 per year (same as electric)

Registration on the Boy was almost $760 per year WTF

I showed the lady in Main roads a picture of my car and she couldnt believe that they would charge commercial registration on such a tiny vehicle (remember their are reasons why they charge higher rates on utes but in QLD you get commercial reg regardless if you want it or not)

I then 2 weeks later had a parking inspector book me for parking in a Loading zone (he didnt consider it a commercial vehicle WTF again)

So I pay the cost of commercial but dont get the benefits of it!!!

So is spoke to main roads and they requested that we file a letter to the transport office to get them to re-look at this silly rule and possibly get the price reduced on a exception rule.

I will post all the contact details shortly but need to know who is onboard and will be willing to write a letter (this is australia wide as I know NSW charges $800+.

lets get together and save some coin....who is in??
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
George A Romero - Father of Zombie Films
Brayden

I'm happy to help out where I can, but the rules for ACT are different. My ute is registered as a 'light truck' but we also have weight categories. For the 'under 1000kg' category the cost is the same as any car of equal weight.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
courierguy

In VIC mine registed as 'light vechle' paying just under $700 year. Yeah like to help out.. djflex you got booked in a loading zone because you probably got no signage on your mb. in fact any vechle can park in loading zone as long you got signage on it weather is commercial or not..
Brayden

courierguy wrote:in fact any vechle can park in loading zone as long you got signage on it weather is commercial or not..
Not true in NSW or ACT where you must have commercial registration to allow parking in a loading zone.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
dover

Why not take a page out of the Subaru BRAT handbook. When it was imported to the US, they stuck a couple seats in the bed to make it a "passenger vehicle" instead of a truck, import tax of 2.5% instead of 25%.
Breyten

Just got my WA rego...
Insurance/Fee class 02, Class A.
Standard rate $391.90 for 12 months.

Don't think it is any different to commercial, but commercial is what it was complianced as when I re-did the rego.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
gadj

As for commercial rego in Qld, the fact your vehicle is classed as a commercial does not automatically allow use of loading zones. If you have 'Private' under purpose of use on your registration label/receipt you cannot use loading zones. If you have 'business' or 'commercial' as purpose of use, you are allowed to use them.
I would love to be able to get mine registered cheaper too - as a pensioner I pay $520.70 for 12 months on my turbo diesel Jackaroo (over 2.4 tonnes incl. my tools). If I register the MB as well I do not get a concession on it (one concession only). I had been considering club rego which allows 15 km from home unless you're attending a club function but you must be a paid up club member & I need a 40Km radius minimum.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
djflex

Ok here is a example of what registration should cost according to the QLD government eQuote website

https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.a ... eQuote.jsp

Date of registration 18/03/2013
Quote type Registration renewal
Include CTP insurance in quote Yes
Vehicle type Passenger car
Purpose of use Private
Type of engine Cylinders
Number of cylinders/rotors 3
Concession category No Concession
Pay term 12 Months
CTP insurance class Cars and station wagons
Input tax credits entitlement (ITCE) No
CTP insurer RACQ
Registration fee 220.20
Traffic improvement fee 48.85
CTP insurance premium 328.80
========
Total fee ($) 597.85

========

That is what we should be paying but due to the fact UTE appears we pay $280 more!!

FOR ALL QLD MB OWNERS PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING

In order to get the law changed we need to each send a short letter to the head office REGISTRATION POLICY office (They will change it once they see its more than one person complaining trust me)

Registration Policy
PO Box 673
Fortitude Valley
Qld 4006

What do you need to write?

Simple, state the fact that it is the smallest vehicle on the road, 3 cylinder, and the exact same vehicle as the Alto of the same year.

This will convince them that their system is charging incorrect rate for the car.

If possible include a picture of your vehicle as well.

please let me know if you send yours so I can guage how many people are sending them.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
George A Romero - Father of Zombie Films
gadj

It wouldn't be 20 years ago that the reverse was true in Qld. It was much cheaper to register a ute until people took notice of that fact & we ended up with lots of utes running around. The way vehicle rego & third party was altered to the current system once the Government saw what was going on. Mind you, that is a heavily abbreviated version of events - there were more parties involved in bringing that change.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
tropicboy

As Qld MB driver I'll be sending a letter off this week. Power to the people - or in our case (not much power!)