Gear shift problem

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
makie43

I have only had my MB for about a month and the gear shift is becoming sloppier, the select position for first and second seem to be moving further towards the passenger side so instead of selecting low in what would be the normal it slips in to third is there any adjustment for this? I mean it's not that big of a problem but I feel an idiot when I go to take off at an intersection and stall because I'm in third instead of first???
m00neelee

Had a similar issue with mine. First thing is to replace the linkage bushes. A cheap and easy fix that should fix your problem.

The other thing it could be is the linkage return spring which is inside the gearbox, which requires pulling apart the gearbox to fix.

Guess which one is my problem :x
NOTE: The term Mighty Boy is a registered trade mark of the Suzuki Motor Corporation and in no way represent that the vehicle is Mighty or a Boy, but it is a ute damn it!
killermule

Yeh my boys gears are all over the place. Had someone checkout the linkage bushes and they said they were fine, but I might replace them anyway haha.

I am presuming it became really hard for the previous owner to actually find the gears, as the current gear shifter is extremely long and reaches the steering wheel haha, but it does help find the bloody gears till I get it fixed.
makie43

Thanks for the replies, I will try the bushes, and maybe do the gearbox when I have to fit a new clutch.
Brayden

Worn rear engine mount can also cause shifting problems.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mowog

pull the gear lever boot up and make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight and properly adjusted, the speed it is deteiorating makes it more likely it is something like that rather than wear.