not all firing?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
ferdie

ok here is the problem,

when running at normal speed the engin sounds sweet, but at idle it is not firing on all 3, number 1 pot is dead(the one closest to the drivers side of the car) please help!! any ideas would be sweet!! it is a 550cc 3pot suzi motor and its just been installed by the guy i got it off, didnt notice it till i got it home and the mechanic who did the road worthy didnt say anything bout it...

could it be a problem in the electrics?? checked and it is getting spark through the lead, have not checked the plug

my grandfather said something bout it being a valve not closing properly and thus not enough compression at idle but with more revs its enough 2 fire?? any thoughts?? and if so how do i fix this??

cheers in advanced
nathan
evilgidget

Many of us have a set regime when we have ignition problems, consisting of:

plugs
condenser
distributor rotor
distributor cap

Then we do the ignition dwell & set the ignition timing, and 99.9% of the time, we have success.

If it's a maladjusted valve, the motor will have a godawful tic-tic-tic while it's running.

If in doubt about the motor, have a compression check done on the motor & check the reading are all similar.
Colin

you would have a tic tic if the tappet was too lose but if its too tight it will be quiet(no clearence)
have you lost any power? if not you would possibly have a mixture problem or a vacume leak.
MORE BEER! :beer: