towbar? tray moulding?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
gadj

I noticed one MB in members photos (maybe on SuziShop site) had a towbar...custom or mass produced?? :NFI: (who makes them please). No listings at work (autopro).
I would also like to ask Brayden, what is the moulding around the tray on your MB, it looks so good versus standard I would like to use it on mine. 8)

Thanks, gadj.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Colin

tow bars are genuine and rare as rocking horse shit
MORE BEER! :beer:
Brayden

I had no idea that Suzuki had ANY genuine accessories for the MB. I mean even the tonneau covers were arranged locally by dealers because Suzuki didn't offer them from the factory.

Anyway, the moulding around my tray? That is actually a standard fitment that came with the MB to cover up the ugly pinched metal and spot welds. Its not bad for aethetics but it does trap water and cause rust if you're not pedantic about cleaning underneath it regularly.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gadj

Thank you, Colin & Brayden. I will be getting a custom bar built - I know several blokes qualified to rate their bars. (Qld's transport regs won't allow me to build my own :x - liabilities etc.).
As for the moulding, it seems more trouble than it's worth. The climate here promotes oxidation to the point ya just gotta do what ya can to slow it down. I'll find another way to improve asthetics when I'm ready, either a canopy(I know where the one mine originally had lives. :wink: ) or a hard lid.

Yours greatfully gadj.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
lackner12

Someone decided to reverse into my car and destroyed my existing boot mounted bike carrier so thought it would be a good time to look at a towbar mounted rack. First i need a towbar though. I've had one quote for fitting with single electrics but is higher than i thought it should be (250). But haven't really got a clue, is this a normal sort of price?
Short Throw Shifter,
gadj

$250.00 for a fitted (new) towbar, by my experience is comparitively cheap.
For fitting alone however...I would get another quote. If you have the basic abilities with a drill, spanners & wiring you should be able to fit & wire your own in 4 - 6 hours. A professional should have it done in 2 or 3 hours.
Using the Hatch towbar I bought from stevan_istheman, there were 4 bolt holes drilled through the rear subframe rails & tray floor, the 4 holes have to have sleves so the bolts don't compress the sub-frame. Use 50 x 50mm square washers under the bolt heads (bolts inserted from above). You will need help to get the bar lined up so the hole positions can be accurately marked & double checked (very important- don't want your tray full of holes).
Wiring is straight forward common sense, I removed the inspection panel in the rear right corner & identified the wires after having worked a length of 7 core trailer wire through a hole drilled in the inner side panel (near the muffler).
Tez

having worked a length of 7 core trailer wire through a hole drilled in the inner side panel
Grommeted I hope. :-o
Tez
So the adventure continues...
gadj

Hey..Tez, no cowboy here :D grommett goes without thinking for me, probs why I didn't think to include one above. I've had professional auto sparky's complement me on my wiring - the Asperger's means I take a little more time to do it right & make sure it's tidy. It's also why I stuff other things up totally & why some of my posts are drawn out (longer than needed)