Carbie issues

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
shavenyak

Hi all

was driving home the other day and as I was caning it over the harbour bridge, the engine started faltering, and missing when I had the throttle halfway. It was fine at idle - even when revving hard in neutral - but as soon as there was some load on the engine it ran rough as. It also seemed to go OK if the gas was pressed right to the floor..
So I got her home OK with some spluttering along the way, and had a look at the carbie:

is the bottom chamber on the picture the secondary? It was pretty filthy, so I sprayed some "start ya bastard" in it and revved the shit out of it in neutral.
Got back in the car, once it was in second, was the same story - spluttering her little heart out.. Although a couple of runs up and down the road at full throttle later - it cleared up and she was running like normal.

On closer inspection, this little doohickey in the carb was a bit loose and rattly. What is it?

I've got a weber 30DGS carb that i'm in the process of adapting to suit, so it's probably not worth taking this mikuni apart until that one's ready.

At any rate - the car's working fine again - so I'm happy!
ike849

that's your emulsion tube on the secondary system, mine too is loose. i just pulled it out cleaned out the holes with solvent put pvc tape (the stuff plumbers use on taps) around the bottom bit that presses into the carb and pushed it back in. eventually the tape will wear away as it is exposed to petrol fumes and liquid, but i'm in the same posisiton...don't care as have a good carb/engine to go in soon.

you should also dissconnect the breather from the cam cover to the air filter and plug the hole on the filter. then buy a engine breather from super cheap ($12-15) and put that on the cam cover. this way oil will never get into your carb and make it run crap...the oil blocks the airating holes on the emulsion tube, slow air jets etc...

also take your secondary vaccum pot (just below where your accelerator/choke cables attach to the carb) off the carb and tip it upside down....lots of oil came out of mine!!! now the secondary opens much smoother and sooner!!!
Brayden

The sputtering is likely caused by grit in the jets. I'd suggest pulling the top off the carby and inspect/clean the float bowl.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.