The Boy has Arrived

Chat about anything and everything.
Tez

Hi Guys.
The 'boy arrived from QLD yesterday. A quick look over last night has revealed a list of things I'll need to address before I take it in for the RWC first inspection. - Would like your advice:

1. The Carby appears to flood - I can see fuel dripping into the rear chamber and can smell the fuel easily. - I need to look into this a little more thoroughly yet. I also noticed what looks & smells like water in the air-cleaner (quite a bit to my surprise) - and something drips from the linkages on the driver's side of the carby that I'm fairly sure is fuel... :? This car was supposed to have had a carby overhaul shortly before I bought it... Pthththth - Yeah, right.
2. The LH Headlamp low-beam doesn't work (original seal beams) - pissing them both off & fitting semi-sealed QH lamps from Mini and Suzuki Auto Spares in NSW should be here Monday.
3. The torsion bracket (?) that is bolted to the rear of the block - comes up to a round vibration isolator then back to the firewall... is fractured right next to the lower bolt holes. - Gonna take that puppy off & weld it back up & re-fit it. - Should be as good as new. - Not worried about this.
4. The car was started and driven off the transporter yesterday morning - I then started it and drove it to work (about a 5 minute drive) intending to go straight in for the RWC - didn't happen - got tied up at work. Started the 'boy after work & drove home - no issues. 10 minutes after I got home, I offered to take my 14 y.o. for a whizz around the block and got as far as the end of the street - it died and WONT start - towed it home with the 'cruiser and pushed it into the garage. Then proceeded to flatten the dinky battery trying to re-start it. (I think the carby problems play into this somehow, but puzzled why it would start so easily at work, then suddenly die only 20 minutes later)
5. I've noticed a disconnected lead. - Comes from a small square gadget fitted to the bracket retaining the coil. Has a wire coming out of the loom that goes into one side of this gadget, then another lead coming out the other side (about 150mm long) with an automotive connector on the end. - It looks like it could be a Radio Suppression Capacitor (?) but the free wire must connect somewhere & is currently floating about in the engine bay - It looks about the right length to connect to either of the low-lension posts on the coil, but I'm reluctant to connect it to either side, coz I'm not sure what it does! I don't think this is stopping the 'boy! (but not certain!)
6. Ordered a new Dizzy-Cap - should be here today - will look at leads & plugs if this doesn't help.
& finally,
7. I can lift the back end of the car off the ground... :D Discovered this while chatting with the guys at work yesterday... Doesn't help anything, but is funny as hell.

So the adventure begins...

Cheers
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Brayden

Ahh yes, welcome to the wonderful time absorbing, money draining, and patience testing world of the 20+ year old car!

To give you a bit of a hand: (direct response to your well numbered post!)

1. You will find the carby to be an endless source of frustration until you spend $75 on a rebuild kit and start from scratch. At least that way you can be sure everything is installed and adjusted correctly.
2. I hope you didn't pay more than $50 for the pair of headlights, that is all the semi-sealed carriers are worth. (without globes)
3. Also check the engine steady (vibration isolator) is in good condition, and sits true. If the engine is leaning backwards it could be the common fault of worn out engine mounts (especially the rear one).
4. See 5.
5. Sounds like the disconnected cable is the one that runs from the coil to the distributor. It is about 15-20cm long with a female spade connector at the end that goes on the dissy. If that is not connected then it would explain your lack of vrrroom. ;) Oh, and the little black box on the coil? Thats the ballast resistor.
6. Good idea, and I would also replace the points!
7. Very funny, until someone does it in a carpark and bends your nice straight panels!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

Hi Brayden - Thanks for your response.
('net access @ work is a wonderful thing - being the company's sysadmin helps too) :D
2. Headlights were $59.95 with globes (+ postage)
3. The Vibration Isolator is a creative thing - mine has airspace within it - I saw one in a pic on one of the parts websites I was souring last night & it seemed to be solid - i.e. some sort of insert where I have air :-o So not sure on that one - I might snap a pic of it tonite & post it for comment...
4. / 5. The low tension lead from the coil to the diz is definitely intact - this lead is something else - another pic tonite methinks might clarify...
6. Yes will do the points if the plugs & leads go in.
7. I think if I'd done as much to my 'boy as you have done to yours, I might get a tad miffed if someone attempted to pick it up too.

Cheers.
Tez
Tez

Photos:
The gadget on the coil with the disconnected lead:

The Stabiliser Vibration Damper:

Brayden mentioned
check the engine steady (vibration isolator) is in good condition, and sits true
here's the front view - It's not dead upright...
Is this normal for these isolators or is this one shot?

Thanks for any help...
Tez
Al_Zhiemer

Little black gadget-

By memory it should have a blue wire coming out of the harness and a black wire coming out of the little black gadget. The black wire needs to go to the positive side of your coil.

Engine mount/stabilizer looks-

Looks fine to me.
Drive: 1997 Toyota Starlet... (the incognito mobile)
1985 Suzuki Mighty Boy, currently being restored.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Why doesn't the Gene Pool have life gaurds??
Tez

Thanks Al.! :D
Tez
Tez

Just an update...
Got the 'boy registered today, so all nice & Legal now.

Cheers
Tez