Adding A/C to a Mighty Boy?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Subtle Prime

Has anyone attempted to add air-conditioning to a Mighty Boy before? Was it a particularly painful and expensive experience?
suzutey

You might need anouther engine to run it. lol
Brayden

Would the job be expensive? Not if you can find a Hatch/Alto with A/C to steal the parts from.
Would it be painful? Driving the ute with the A/C on would be! :lol:

I know Colin has installed A/C, but his motor was boosted so it had the grunt to cope.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Ralf the RR

Subtle Prime wrote:Has anyone attempted to add air-conditioning to a Mighty Boy before? Was it a particularly painful and expensive experience?
I don't know about expensive, but painful would be an understatement.
Not in fitting - but in driving.

Gee, my MB loses performance by turning the headlights on!
I can't imagine sucking more horsepower out of it. It hasn't got enough to spare.
Some say that ACs suck up to 10HP, and with only 25HP to play with, that doesn't equate to much on road performance.
Harry
Oil leaks are a factory rust prevention option
scott7

f5a no way to putting AC on
but standard F8b would be OK if you are in a cruising mood for more than 30 mins apart from that just wind down both windows.
provides enough airflow for short trips around town or just wait till cool of afternoon/night to travel
MACK MEATY BITE
ToranaGuy

On a bigger car with a bigger A/C pump, i could see it using say 10HP or more of power, i know i can tell my A/C is on in my EB Ghia, but since i've done a few engine mods, you only notice it slightly pulling up hills, otherwise you don't notice it at all. When the engine was stock, you knew you were driving with the A/C on. I'm about 40 RWKW up on std power tho. :lol:

With such a small A/C pump, i'd be very surprised if it used 10kw. Considering it's probably 1/10th the size of the pump in my EB, i'd be surprised to find the mighty boy pump used more than a couple of Hp.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|