Rear Sway Bar & Drum Brakes MKI Swift swap to MB

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
ike849

After spending some time at my local wreckers getting extra parts for the MB trailer, I noticed a MKI swift had drum brakes that DON'T need adjustment!!!!! On further inspection they have a rear sway bar that mounts to the rear leaf shackle and u-bolt plate on the axle.

Self Adjusting Rear Brakes - This is what I was really interested in as I would like to go to disc brakes on the rear, but the only car I could find with small enough discs was the Ford Lynx and then mounting them would require too must custom work for it to be a worthy mod for the masses.....

The MKI Swift drum brakes are self adjusting thus taking out the hassle of the 6monthly adjustment I make on the MB!!!! The down side is the plate that mounts to the axle has a bolt spacing of 50mm vertical and 70mm horizontal, the MB is 55mm vert. & horiz. so I will be making an alloy adapter plate which will have the added bonus of increasing the track on the rear!!!!!! Other than that they look to be a straight swap!!!!! The only pitfall I can think of at the moment is the bearings might not make it to the cylinder part of the axle and will ride on the tapered part which would kill them very quickly (all depends on how thick the plate has to be)

Rear Sway Bar - The MKI rear sway bar looks to easily mount to the rear leaf shackle, and the axle u-bolt plates with the sway bar risers look to be a direct swap for the MB ones(see pics below). The only concern is the bar is 150mm too wide. All the bends seem to match nicely to the spare wheel, suspension, exhaust, rear wheels and what looks to be a tow bar mounting point!!!!

My idea here is to cut and shut the middle part of the bar. To do this i'm thinking of drilling a core and tapping a thread on each half, then screw each half into a threaded bar. I would then weld the centre seam, slip a wide collar over the seam and weld each half again to that collar....would this be strong enough to withstand the torque/twisting of the bar in normal use????

Anyway getting to the point of this post.....has anyone completed/started this conversion and how did they go as I don't want to be 're-inventing the wheel' again.....

I think the rear sway bar and the self adjusting brakes are a worthwhile exercise as all the parts cost me the grand sum of $20 and the modifications appear to be quite simple to get them to fit....again inputs welcome, especially in the sway bar area as i've had zero experience with their construction, etc...
Last edited by ike849 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brayden

I wouldn't bother modifying the MK1 swaybar if it involves cutting the centre. The one on the rear of my ute is nothing more than a bent peice of 3/4" steel with two drop links and L brackets. Would not be difficult to make at all with basic equipment. (A steel press bender.)

As for the brakes, more power to you if you want to tackle the conversion, but you must do some kms to need to adjust the rear brakes every 6 months! I've had the same rear shoes on my ute since about 2001 and adjusted them 2 or 3 times.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

Maybe use the Mk1 sway bar mounts with a custom made sway bar? Save making up the L brackets Brayden was talking about.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

The L brackets are nothing more than heavy gauge 2" angle
ike849

only reason i'm keen on the sway bar is it is shaped to fit what looks to be a towing mount and it clears the exhaust, spare tyre and hides up behind the number plate area. Also it looks std. thus not attracting attention to the car...

my rear brakes don't really need adjusting for braking performance, just to maintain a strong lock when parking using the handbrake on steep hills......i still leave it in 1st gear, but prefer the handbrake to hold the car by itself....

the other reason i'm keen on doing these mods as it makes upgrading your MB easy for anyone. having custom work done is nice, but often not worth the expense, both performance and money wise....

how much did that rear sway bar cost you brayden 8)
I like my nuts where they are :lol:
Brayden

Swaybar was $260 from memory, but Whiteline stopped making them many years ago.

I'll get some pics of the setup at some stage, because besides the actual swaybar the rest of the links are just universal suspension parts.
jeff

Howdy , I have grafted (SF310) swift rear drums on the boy but used a 3mm sandwich plate ,back plate on onto rear axle using 2 original then redrilled for the others then the plate to strengthen the centre the handbrake cable is original some filing needed to accomodate wasnt terribly difficult except for the original inner bearing siezing onto the rear axle hope this helps ,cheers
ToranaGuy

jeff wrote:Howdy , I have grafted (SF310) swift rear drums on the boy but used a 3mm sandwich plate ,back plate on onto rear axle using 2 original then redrilled for the others then the plate to strengthen the centre the handbrake cable is original some filing needed to accomodate wasnt terribly difficult except for the original inner bearing siezing onto the rear axle hope this helps ,cheers
Interesting. is the only reason to do this the self adjusting drums?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
jeff

howdy, a few reasons ,parts and availability to standardise the stud size (front brakes also from donor ) and the slightly larger diameter drum and self adjusting, cheers
ToranaGuy

jeff wrote:howdy, a few reasons ,parts and availability to standardise the stud size (front brakes also from donor ) and the slightly larger diameter drum and self adjusting, cheers
Good Points. How much larger are the drums in comparison to the mighty boy drums?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
jeff

Hi , from memory around 15mm in width but only half the depth,though from back plate mounting to outer bearing very close (few mm shorter) hope this helps,cheers.
ike849

just a small update....

After having to cut the sway bar to the width the MB, the bends don't really fit the MB under body that well......

Looks like I will have to make a custom bar and use the mounting points from the swift....

Also if you are going to use the axle plates from the swift you will need at least 13" wheels for them to clear everything...
Psi_Wagon

you cant cut and shut a sway bar, they are spring steal. any join you make will just be a weak point and break at any sign of stress
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
ToranaGuy

Psi_Wagon wrote:you cant cut and shut a sway bar, they are spring steal. any join you make will just be a weak point and break at any sign of stress
You couldn't do it & put it into service, but you could do it to make a pattern to then have a proper one piece bar made to be just like it.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of the spring saddles so a sway bar could be mounted up later on, because soon i'm changing the springs & Shocks.

ike849 -> You couldn't run a 12" as a spare in an emergency situation could you? Or modify the plates a tad so you could run a 12" without issues. I'm only thinking of what happens when you need to use the spare, i've got 15" & 13" mags for the boy atm, as well as my full set of 12" stockies. Otherwise i'd have to look at modifying the spare wheel carrier to fit a 13" steelie in there. Hrmmmm......

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

Space saver to the rescue!