jermaine's turbo build

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Jermaine

well, iv been gathering bits and pieces for awhile now for a turbo setup, have most of it, turbo, manifold, carby bits a pieces, iv got a spare engine im dummy mounting it to, i have a small intercooler that come with the turbo and manifold, not sure if il use that or buy a fmic, well see what happens, now i have a couple of questons, with the turbo and manifold i got it come with the bundle of vacume switch's and stuff, im pretty sure its all from an f6a, now does anyone know if i have to use them? of what its all for? also pic 2, unsure what it is or what its for? the flared end looks as tho it went into the exhaust?

Brayden

You won't need any of that vacuum stuff, and the thing in the second pic is an EGR valve. You don't need that either, just plug the hole in the exhaust with a bolt.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
blueprintute

Good to see your turbo kit arrived :thumbup1:
87 Mighty Boy! Black . . . FOR SALE!!
03 XR6 Turbo Ute
09 250R Ninja
Jermaine

i didnt think i would need it, yea it turned up tuesday in the post :D thanx mate, turbo dsnt seem to have any play in it either which is great,

do i need to run this vacume tap? and anyone got any pics were they have ran it all? or can some one tell me? and is the f6a too restrictive for the f8b or will it be ok?

thanx guys
blueprintute

Pretty sure the last pic is the Blow off valve.
87 Mighty Boy! Black . . . FOR SALE!!
03 XR6 Turbo Ute
09 250R Ninja
ike849

your kind of right, it's the reticulation valve....people replace them with blow off valves so they can get the swooooosh sound in between gear changes....silly as you are losing all that pressurised air/energy!!!

The small vac hose goes anywhere after the throttle plate in the plenum. The other hoses hookup to the piping before the turbo and after the turbo to vent the excess pressure back into the system.

Bosch type rect. valves have the pressure hose (the one that's after the turbo) going sideways into the valve and the straight down one going to before the turbo. Yours has an arrow on it that suggests the other way round.....I don't like this type as you can get a boost leak there if the spring cannot hold it (usually 12-15psi as the spring wears).

Go find a bosh unit off a falcon turbo as they can handle 20-22psi before they leak....
Jermaine

its not a blow off valve, i already have one, as brayden said its the egr valve setup, ike what exactly are u talkin about? lol
Brayden

The last photo you posted is the retic/blow-off valve, as ike said.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ike849

do i need to run this vacume tap? and anyone got any pics were they have ran it all? or can some one tell me?
I explained all this in my post... :wave: :-k
Matty

The quicker you get it done the sooner we can do mine :lol:
Looking good tho.
Jermaine

ah right i think i now understand lol, so the blow off valve goes were the black vacume tap is? i was thinkin it was a coolant line.. sorry if im askin bit silly question's i havnt really had much to do with turbo setups lol
JohnnyB

Here is a picture of one installed, cant see much but it may help

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]
Jermaine

yea i seen that pic in the gallery, dosnt help much, do i need to run the rect. valve? or how do u suggest i set it up? i have a bov, it come with the carby setup,
brayden with the carby setup, i noticed there is a blankin off plate, i take it that goes on the top hat, were the outlet is on the side? what is that outlet used for? i noticed in one of your gallery pics, u had it blanked off, then in another u had it hooked up to somethin?

also the small outlets on the turbo, were do they run? which one is oil in and out and wateva?
and the fuel pressure reg were did u have that situated on your old setup brayden?

the top hat blank? and what is the other piece used for?
JohnnyB

That outlet on the left hand side of the hat (near the letter T on the word turbo) was originally for the over boost valve.

I would get rid of the factory BOV black plastic thingy and just block up the 2 holes.
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]
Jermaine

ahh right ok, yea i was thinkin that, or get a custom pipe made for it? matty... haha