How To: Suzuki Swift/GTi seats into MB

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
ike849

This weekend I attempted fitting Suzuki Swift Gti Recaro seats to my MB. After trying to find info about fitting any kind of seat to the MB and only finding limited info I thought I would post what I discovered...

I found out that if you are less than 6foot tall it's an easy swap and you have two options, use the MB seat rails OR use the swift seat rails....

If you're tall like me you will need to do a bit more work....see bottom of post

Things you will need;
- Driver and passenger seats WITH the rails.
- Drills 8mm,10mm and 12mm
- Angle grinder (cutting wheel)
- Hammer
- plus some other stuff I don't remember

Note normal swift rails are the same for the drivers side, but the passenger side has a little hook so that when you lift the lever to slide the seat back and forward it automatically reclines forward also....you can use normal swift rails for the passenger side, but you won't have this feature...

Using MB Seat Rails
1: Make up adapter plates to fit the base of the swift seats and MB floor pan seat mounts.
2: Make sure the outside adapters bolt to the recline part of the seat & the base of the seat.

Note: I didn't do this as the angle the adapters have to be makes a lot of leverage....and will probably tear the floor mounts off the metal eventually (swift seats sit back further than MB ones). I also wanted to keep the seat buckle on the swift seats as it slides with the seat...

Less than 6foot tall using Swift Seat Rails;
MB Modifications;
1: Go to the wreckers and cut out of a hatch or MB shell the floor plan rear seat mounts(left and right for both sides). You will use these instead of your seat mounts.
2: Put swift seat rails into MB and mark the location of the new rear mounts you got from the wreckers....The reason for the new mounts is so that you can slide the seat back properly (swift seat rails are longer then MB ones). It also stops the floor mounts tearing off as you have more mounts taking your fat ass!!!!
3: You will have to beat flat the ridge in the centre tunnel on the floor as this is exactly where you want to put your new mounts.... All you are doing at this point in time as lining up the rear mount hole with the rear most blind rivet on the swift rails. Later you will drill out that rivet and use a bolt that will double as the seat sliding 'stopper' and mounting point for the rear mount.
5: Weld or rivet your new mount into place making sure it is level with the front mount and your old rear mount.
4: Beat flat the ridge in the centre tunnel next to the one used for the new seat mount as this is where the seat buckle stay will bolt into.
5: Repeat the lining up and welding of the rear mount for the outside rail

Swift Seat Rail Modifications;
Inside Rail
1: You will need to remove the carpet guard off the rail as this fouls on the centre tunnel.
2: cut off the tab off underneath the carpet guard as this fouls the new rear mount you put in.
3: Grind an angle off the front rail hole area so that it clears the centre tunnel
4: Drill out the rear blind rivet on the rail with a 8mm drill (This hole should line up with the new rear mount you put in)
5: Oval out the front mount seat rail hole so that the rail can sit flush on the front mount.
6: Oval out the seat rail buckle stay as the centre tunnel ridge you beat flat for it before has an exhaust hanger plate on the other side so the bolt will have to go more rearward.
7: Bend the seat rail buckle stay away from the centre tunnel so that the whole rail sits as close as possible to the centre tunnel without the sliding buckle actually fouling (1-2mm clearance is what you need). Note that this means the front seat mount holes will not line up with the front mounts on the floor.
8: Drill out the front and rear seat plate holes with a 10mm drill. this moves the rail in just that little bit further and allows for any skewness in your setup, so the seat still slides smoothly.

Outside Rail
1: Remove the rear floor mount on the outside rail by drilling it out.
2: Oval out the front mount seat rail hole so that the rail can sit flush on the front mount.
3: Drill out the outside rail rear most blind rivet with a 8mm drill (This hole should line up with the new rear mount you put in)

Finishing Modifications;
1: Mount the seat rails back on the seat
2: place seat in the car and mark the holes needed to be drilled for the front mounts
3: Attach bolts and slide seat forward.
4: Drill holes in the floor mounts for the rear hole on the rails
5: Attach bolts
6: Drill the hole in the centre tunnel for the seat rail buckle stay and bolt it int.
7: Loosen all bolts (mounts and seat base) and move seat/rails until you get smooth back and forward sliding, then tighten up all bolts.
7: remove seat buckle and replace with one the MB belt will work with (I think a Mazda 323 uses the same belt engagement as the MB with the design of the swift seat)
8: Enjoy your seats and now lack of head room!!!!!!
9: Sorry no pictures of finished product as I need more head room!!! It did look identical to this....(note this is a pic of Gti seats using MB rails and adapter plates)

More than 6foot tall using Swift Seat Rails;
MB Modifications;
1: Cut out all floor seat mounts flush with the shell.
2: To Be continued...(ie. i'm still working on it)
Last edited by ike849 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
ike849

For those that are worried; technically speaking if you just oval out a hole on the seat rails you will void your insurance without a engineers certificate...

I have been told by my engineer that as long as I don't cut or weaken the actual sliding part of the rail or locking mechanism and that all other mods are removing not needed mounts he will sign off on the modification. (all he wants to see is original strength rails with front and back mounting points...)

I strongly advise that you get an engineer to sign off on any seat mod (even if you can find a direct swap) as it is a critical safety item and something that is commonly looked at in a crash. It's surprising how easy even factory seat mounts tear off in a crash. Your dodgy work will be on display for all to see if you are in a prang and you will be down the toilet legally speaking...that's if you survive!!!!
Brayden

ike849 wrote: More than 6foot tall using Swift Seat Rails;
I'll be very interested to see how you work this out. I tried to mount a spare set in Special Ed and the base is just too thick. Any way I mounted it I either lost the ability to adjust the seats or my head hit the roof. (I'm 6'2")

Of course if I lay the seat back down at 45 degrees my head wouldn't hit the roof, but I'm old enough now to appreciate lumbar support.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ike849

that's funny i'm 6'2" and am old enough for lumbar support also (I also like long walks along the beach...... :wink: )

I noticed you are after alto works seats......from the pics I have seen the base on those is very similar in thickness to the Gti seats....

At the moment I have cut out the floor mounts and will talk to my engineer about mounting issues first before I go any further..... I'm thinking of making a base out of 7mm plate steel to bolt/weld to the floor so that I have a flat and re-enforced platform to work with, then welding on box section to raise the seat how much I need for the sliding mech. The biggest issue is that the centre tunnel needs to be 'moved' 30mm if I place the seat flush on the floor or 20mm if I raise the seat enough for the sliding mech.
Brayden

Base on the Works seats is much thinner than the GTi. They look thick because in an Alto the seats sit a few inches higher than in an MB/Hatch.

I commend your efforts though. That being said I have to ask why make all that effort when aftermarket seats will pretty much bolt straight in?
ike849

aftermarket seats look tooooooo 'rice' for my liking!!!!!! If Alto works seats are indeed lower I will be kicking myself as that would be soooooo much simpler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

the recaro's from the swift are a good compromise between looking std. and support.... :D
ToranaGuy

Good informative thread mate!

Something i will be tackling soon with some Tx5 ghia seats. My Engineer advised i should leave the mighty boy seat belt mount on the floor to make it easier to engineer. Something to do with legal requirements of the seat belt mounts, angles & so on.

He also advised that 3mm plate would be strong enough to make my adapters out of. I'm considering making up adapters to first bolt to the tx5 seat, that will then allow me to bolt original mighty boy rails on. I won't know if this idea will work until i have both seats upside down & measure it all up.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

I've fitted TX3/Mazda 323 seats in my MB before and they were just about a perfect fit. If the TX5 seats are much larger then I'd recommend hunting a set from a TX3.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:I've fitted TX3/Mazda 323 seats in my MB before and they were just about a perfect fit. If the TX5 seats are much larger then I'd recommend hunting a set from a TX3.
They are not much larger, and i think very close in size to the GTI seats. I've already got them on a parts car so i'll give them a try & see what they are like. If they work out too big i'll chase a set of tx3/323 seats.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
ike849

toranaguy, 3mm plate for adapters is fine, but if you are making your own base/floor mount like me I would use something more substantial...

My Engineer advised i should leave the mighty boy seat belt mount on the floor to make it easier to engineer. Something to do with legal requirements of the seat belt mounts, angles & so on.
this is true if you are using the MB rails or modified swift rails. If you want to use the swift movable buckle like me, you have to use the std. mounting system the swift uses...ie. the thing I call the "rail buckle stay" has to be bolted into the floor plan as this is the leverage point for the buckle.

tx5 seats i'm pretty sure are too wide...i'll check though as I have 2 in their back yard the dogs use in the leisure time :)
ToranaGuy

Cool. I'm going to try steer away from too much custom mounting of the seats if i can.

I measured up the Tx5 turbo seats, and they are about 5mm too wide each side of the seat, in the padding only, which could be modified if required. The Ghia seats are padded less out the sides, but i've not measured them.

Cheers

ToranaGuy