Timing belt for F5A Twin Cam

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Tay

My brothers '88 Alto Works RS-R is currently in the work shop, the clutch was slipping for a while so I told my brother to get it replaced and while he's there to freshen the motor up a bit.

My mechanic has almost gone bold ripping his hair out trying to find various parts to replace! The remaining two parts he is having a hard time finding is a new clutch kit and the timing belt.

I think he may have the clutch kit sorted out but I have to double check, but the main one is the timing belt.
The belt that came out of the motor is a Gates T857, he's been ringing everyone to see if they have a listing or stock the belt and not have any luck.

I tried one place and below is the response I received:

The Gates T857 belt is unavailable in Australia. The part is especially made to order overseas, which takes around 8 weeks, and then it would take another three months to get here. I believe they will only make the belt if they have an order for 28 or so. Unfortunately it doesn’t cross over to any other brand.

So I am sorry but I am unable to help you and I doubt very much if you will get one in Australia.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find a new timing belt or even a clutch kit?

Regards
Tay
gadj

The old clutch disc & pressure plate should be able to be reconditioned if no new part is available. (Exedy should be able to recommend somebody) I can't offer more sorry, My 'contacts' are all Sunshine Coast & Brisbane.
Just for interests sake have a look at the OEM clutch manufacturer - many are made by Exedy/Daiken http://www.exedy.com.au
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Billie

I was talking to a mechanic today (sisters friend) and he said theres a place in brisbane that have timing belts for just about any application, just tell them the amount of teeth needed. Not sure on how that works, but might help.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

Both parts could be ordered through Cappuccino Sport or Greenline.jp without much hassle. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Goofy[HSK]

wow, harder to find then a F6A one, odd

fyi, T857 specs = HTN 129x25.4 C
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
gadj

For those unaware, timing belts are classified by number of teeth x width & tooth profile (round,square or otherwise)
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Tay

I got a reply from Cappuccino Sport, prices (in AUD) are below:

SUZUKI Timing Belt, Alto Works RS-R - $111
SUZUKI Clutch Cover - $199
SUZUKI Clutch Disc - $149
SUZUKI Clutch Release Bearing - $99

Not sure about shipping as I didn't go through with the order, as my mechanic already managed to find a mob in QLD that could get the timing belt as we provided the OEM original part number for the timing belt and it's already on order. Going to take about a week from Japan, fingers crossed it's the right part.

As for the clutch, we will be going to try get it reconditioned, if all fails, then I will order it through Cappuccino Sport.
gazuga

im currently trying to source a clutch for my f6b locally, will let you know how i go, should find out if it fits mid week. if not i have dealt with capp sport before and delivery times and prices werent too bad so ill give them a call
holk

Hi Tay,

I have a new heavy duty clutch, pressure plate and original flywheel for a F5A Dohc. When I did my engine swap my mechanic ordered it, but we ended up using the original gearbox not to change the engine mounts.
If you want you can have the lot for $120. ( I have receipts for roughly $200 trade).

Pm me if interested
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
Tay

Hi holk,

You have PM!
holk

Tay,

replied
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
Tay

A BIG thank you to holk!

Picked up the clutch from him last week and dropped it off at my mechanic, perfect match!

In one of my replies above, my mechanic found a place in QLD that could order the timing belt from Japan, my brother called up to provide payment details and it was all set, I don't want to go into all the fine details but lets say it didn't go down well.
My brother ordered this on the 19th May, and since then, nothing has been done after numerous attempts to find out what's going on.
We were disgusted on how we were treated, so we cancelled the order and ended up ordering it through Cappuccino Sport (as of tonight) instead, shipping is a bit of a killer but if they deliver the goods on time, it's a small price to pay.

The company in question we had a bad experience with is.

Suzisport in Lawnton QLD
Billie

Suzisport at lawnton were great when i went there.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

SuziSport have made a name for poor service. Sorry to hear you've been dicked around by them Tay.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gadj

I am surprised to hear that of Derek & Co. I had always found him to provide great service & prompt delivery as well as his amazing knowledge of Suzuki parts. Maybe they simply got too busy for the size of the business, maybe there is an external factor. Sad to see what was a fantastic provider go that way.