Louise's Mb!

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
mini_kompressor

Thats right, those of you who know Louise and me (Ben) will remember that in Albury we were discussing getting an auto Mb for Louise ( as Boosted Boy was originally for her to learn to drive manual in, whitch kinda didnt happen :wink: ) and now she has one! ( Cheers again Brayden for the tip off :D )
On a bright Sat morning Dad and i set off for the Malle to pick up Twinkee, as it is now known for reasons that will be revielled later. After enduring a tandem trailer with no brakes, a flat battery, a change of tandem trailer to one with brakes, a blow out in the middle of no where and only having a space saver as a spare, followed by a further flat battery,( i think im a bit of a jinx :lol: ) we finally got the boy home. It was one of those days, where for no reason something would go wrong, but non the less the PT Cruiser towed it home no worries.
( For those of you who dont have RACV total care, GET IT. Its great :) )Its an 87 Auto, and because it has lived in the malle all its life its rust free. The engines seized, but thats ok as ive got a spare ready to go :wink: . So in a few runs time there could be another boy joining the convoy
Jermaine

whoo nice work.. looks fairly straight to! keepin this one fairly stock or what's the plans
Billie

looks abit like mine when i got it :)
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
mini_kompressor

She wants to modify it, which is cool, but its increadibly stock. It even came with owners handbooks and it really has been unmolested. If i mod it carefully then i guess if ever we went to sell it we could always say it could be put back to stock if need be. Its a hard decision, as she wanted to paint it pink, and ive already got the powerplant to go in it, F5a dohc, the works. What to do?
Jermaine

hmmm.. id put the motor in, u could always find another mb subframe if u wanted to put it back to stock if u have to modd it to much for the f5a.. who wants the power of a standard mb f5a?
Tez

Congratulations guys!

If you put the DOHC in, it won't be stock anymore will it...?

So go the whole hog I say... Pink, Bling, DOHC... I can hardly wait to see what you do with it... (I assume it is auto??? DOH! - Just re-read your post - '87 Auto :oops: )

Where in the mallee was it? (I have family up there)

Cheers
Last edited by Tez on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Billie

Wernt the bottom ends of the f5a's the same? aus spec and import, i member reading about that. Why not rebuild the original bottom end and chuck the f5a head on?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
ToranaGuy

Nice score there Ben & Louise! I knew straight away why you nicknamed it twinkie. ;-)

Not all F5a bottom ends were created equal. I have a sohc bottom end with the "small journal" big ends, which is 31.98 iirc. AFAIK all the locally delivered F5a's had bigger "big ends".

Just put the twincam engine in, modify the subframe if you have to, and if you ever want to sell it "as stock" you could get another subframe for it. Let's face it, you probably won't ever sell it will you?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
mini_kompressor

Yer, probably should build it the way she wants it, as everyone says if you want to put it back later you can( but we probably wont :lol:, where's the fun in that! )
mini_kompressor

Oh Tez, it came from Birchip :) .
holk

Congrats Louise!!! Very well scored. Looks straight and polished.

As far as the engine, the F5A Dohc fits on the original mounts: just remove the original cradle and mount it on the dohc. It will fit like a glove and just pair up the auto box. You may need a HD clutch, however.

Paride
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
mowog

Congrats on such a nice car.
Would there be any chance of getting a photocopy of the owners manual? I believe it was just a few pages of roneod instructions. Pay for it of course.
thanks.
mini_kompressor

Cheers Holk, should be good for a laugh, being auto and turbo :) Louise is stoked! :D . Hey Mowog Pm sent :)
Brayden

holk wrote: It will fit like a glove and just pair up the auto box. You may need a HD clutch, however.
I'd like to see the look on the face of the spare parts guy when Ben asks him for an HD clutch to suit an auto gearbox. :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

an HD clutch to suit an auto gearbox
Yeah... I was wondering about that too... :)
Tez
So the adventure continues...