Grand Tour - Tasmania

Where and when you can find a show or cruise happening.
Tez

OK... This has been suggested more than once...

I'm looking for expressions of interest from the TAMON forum of people who would commit to participating in a Grand Tour of Tasmania.

This would be an extended trip - of perhaps a fortnight in duration and would circumnavigate and visit many destinations in Tasmania.

To that end, I am proposing the tour take place in Early November 2011.
This date selected to enable people time to arrange their annual leave etc. from work to participate, and co-incides with a Victorian holiday (Melbourne Cup Day) so that at least, Victorians would not need to take a full two weeks annual leave to join in, also that time of year is more conducive to a trip of this nature.

For my part, my wife and I would need to take annual leave each - my wife (Who STILL hates me driving the 'boy from a safety perspective) and does not feel comfortable travelling in it, has offered to come with us in our Land Cruiser and also act as a recovery vehicle (If necessary) as a measure of security for those who doubt their car's reliability.

Already we're committing to a sizable outlay to make this happen if it does, so I'm after serious responses.

I see no reason why this tour should not include TAMON members from any state in Australia or other places if it comes to that. - People coming from further afield would simply need to make arrangements to meet us in Melbourne or Devonport.

Aside fron the second Albury Gathering that I will start planning as soon as we get back from our holidays in mid August, I thought this would also be a worthwhile activity to organise if the interest and ability to commit is there.

Obviously, nothing is set yet. Personally, I've never been to Tassie (always wanted to go) and so am open to suggestions and assistance if you can help out.

I'm sure that with some open discussion and a little planning, we could make this an event to remember.

So... Are you up for a nice drive around Tassie with some other lunatics dedicated to these little cars?
Last edited by Tez on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Billie

Great idea, but i doubt i could make it. This should be a epic cruise though. Great idea :)
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Karu

I love Tassie sooo much I am going to start saving now. Although a suggestion I would make is to go to Deloraine from Launceston
mini_kompressor

Hey Tez, pm sent :D
trunkmonkey

would love to be part of it but the trip down from here would probably kill my poor MB....sounds like an awesome concept!
.............trunkmonkey................
Tez

Nothing is impossible if you really want to be involved...
Ship it down on the train & travel with it...(?)
or take 5 -or 6 days to cruise down by road...

If the idea takes off, there may be others from QLD or NSW who might come - you could link up with them for the drive down - travelling in a group - even if it is only a group of two is always more fun and safer than travelling long distances on your own.

But all said & done, this will not be a trip for the feint-hearted or any car that has been quickly bodged together... Reliability will be fairly important. If you're not confident enough to drive your car to at least the next state, then you probably need to get your car so you can...

As to the ability of the car to do the trip... Well, that depends a lot on the condition of your car... But to put it into perspective... What is Townsville to Melbourne? - 2500k's? - How Many K's has your car gone already? - 100,000k's? - 150,000k's? - a round trip of 5-7,000k's should not be a problem for the car if it is up to scratch...

Cheers
Tez
Billie

All depends if i get the g10a conversion done before this, and the paint. i really really want to go, havnt been to vic or tasmania, so would be awesome. I think the train sounds good, then i wont get sick of the boy before the cruise.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
1TUFMB

this is an awesome idea, never been to tas so i'l have to try and convince the mrs lol :D
Growing old is inevitable, But Growing up is Optional....
trunkmonkey

Tez wrote:Nothing is impossible if you really want to be involved...
Ship it down on the train & travel with it...(?)
or take 5 -or 6 days to cruise down by road...

If the idea takes off, there may be others from QLD or NSW who might come - you could link up with them for the drive down - travelling in a group - even if it is only a group of two is always more fun and safer than travelling long distances on your own.

But all said & done, this will not be a trip for the feint-hearted or any car that has been quickly bodged together... Reliability will be fairly important. If you're not confident enough to drive your car to at least the next state, then you probably need to get your car so you can...

As to the ability of the car to do the trip... Well, that depends a lot on the condition of your car... But to put it into perspective... What is Townsville to Melbourne? - 2500k's? - How Many K's has your car gone already? - 100,000k's? - 150,000k's? - a round trip of 5-7,000k's should not be a problem for the car if it is up to scratch...

Cheers
"Townsville to Tassie in a MB" ??? that is something that even Chuck Norris would hesitate to do BUT im sort of keen to have a crack & would be an awesome holiday!
I have done the trip a few years ago from Townsville to Sydney & that was a bit over 2600k's. To get from there to big Vic & over to Tassie will be a massive drive, could probably meet up Billie & his rig on the way too if its ready :P
1 hurdle - convincing the Mrs :evil:
.............trunkmonkey................
Billie

Yeah we could cruise down. My misses wants to go :P
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

Sorry but I'll pass for a few reasons.
1) Going to see Metallica in mid-November.
2) Will be prepping the ute for Summernats.
3) 2 weeks is longer than I would want to spend on the road in my MB!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

Sorry but I'll pass for a few reasons.
1) Going to see Metallica in mid-November.
2) Will be prepping the ute for Summernats.
3) 2 weeks is longer than I would want to spend on the road in my MB!
Already booked in to see Metallica in November 2011 ? - Wow...
Summernats... Can't argue with that.
2 weeks on the road in yr MB... See that's what hardening up the suspension will do for you :D - What about prepping the Snot Rocket for the summernats, and come to tassie in Special Ed...? - Or your Carry... Or whatever other Suzuki you're playing with at the time...?

(Just tugging your chain Brayden :wink: ) - That's why I posted this thread - to see who could/would come if it was planned out...

No probleemo! :)
Tez
Brayden

Sorry, didn't take any notice of the year! :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Damn you Brayden. I wanted to see metallica. They sold out :(
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Twinkee

Ben and I have done Tas in the Mini twice now... 8)

The frist time was 2 weeks, not much room in a mini, but it can be done in an MB :D :D :D .
Then second time we only went for 1 week in the Mini again. it is more fun in a small car, more peopl tend to look.

You can stop when you want the views from some of the roads are sweet, you can then start again when you want. You can go what ever speed the car will let you.
It is a great driveing hoilday and it being over 12 month. a lot of time to save $$$$$$$ and to get the hoildays appoved. :D :D :D :thumbup1:
What more can I say, I own a Red MIGHTY BOY
(2 speed auto 1988)