UpperKuts MB swap

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
upperkuts

Hey everyone, this is the first mighty boy Ive owned.. i got it a couple of days ago after doing a straight swap for my shaved VP Commodore wagon.. Ive always wanted a mighty boy.. I dont know why.. i just love them

So far its been pretty good other than a few minor problems you can expect from a car of its age, not sure the direction i wanna go with it yet.. bagged and shaved would be nice but a little too expensive and time consuming.. we will see how i go but :)
The wagon i swapped for it
The mighty boy
The mighty boy
Last edited by upperkuts on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
suzutey

nice shave job! shaving the mb?
upperkuts

Considering it... engine conversion might be first inline though. I'll have to get to researching and learn a little bit more about what I'm dealing with before I go ahead with anything.. shaving would be cool though for a start.
ImageImage
upperkuts

I have only had my Mighty Boy for a few days.. and it already wont run, regretting the swap a little cause now i dont have a car... I dont know much about motors so my old man has helped me with it a bit, We cleaned out the fuel tank because the fuel going through it was dirty as (handfulls of dirt and shit came out), we got a new ignition coil and we put all new gaskets and shit in the carby... still wont run... it starts fine with the choke on and idles ok for about 20 seconds then dies. It seems that if i leave it for a while and try again it will do the same thing.
Anybody got anymore ideas?? we were gona try a new fuel pump because the fuel isnt coming up through the filter all the time.. not sure if that explains my problem enough.

On another note where can i get a replacement carby for this? a brand new one?
ImageImage
Billie

Could go with a 30dic off a fiat 850, will need an adaptor plate to the intake manifold though.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Husky

Where you at mate? maybe able to help
upperkuts

Im in Tamworth NSW. we still cant get it going.. i think i got ripped off with this one.
ImageImage
MYT801

haha mate, sounds like you are not having much luck, pity you didnt keep the old engine in it. i have enough parts to build another mighty boy and about 4 suzuki hatches. and i go upto Tammy every few weeks in the truck.
Husky

so it sounds to me like its starting but wont idle/run properly
1st thing is dont despair, with a little effort you will win. :)
check the idle solenoid before you go any further, could be the electrical connnection or the solenoid itself.
by the sounds of it you should pull the tank and flush it out, spray carby cleaner through the fuel lines then blow out with compressed air when the tank is off.
install new fuel filter and maybe consider pulling carby apart and clean out again.
Also check the timing and VERY important the points gap. this makes a huge difference as I found out. 8)
upperkuts

where would i find this idle solenoid in the bay and are they readily available from bursons or somewhere?? tank has been taken out and flushed, lines have been flushed, new filter is in, carby has been thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt.. i have no idea how to check the timing, or the points gap? im not very skilled when it comes to engine work. Sorry bout all the questions but this is really pissing me off, im missing that commodore more and more every day...

MYT801 by swap i meant swapping my commodore wagon for the mighty boy not engine swap ;) haha i wish i swapped this poxy engine for something better... In that pile of parts you wouldnt happen to have a spare carby you would like to part with would you?
ImageImage
Brayden

Mate best thing I can suggest is have a look through the workshop manual (in the Technical FAQ) and go through a process of elimination.

Considering the engine is cranking over, I'd start with a compression test just to make sure the motor isn't FUBAR. If it is then the compression test could save you a lot of money replacing parts that don't need replacing!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mowog

ok you have kitted the carby, but there was a lot of crap in the tank, suggest you disconnect the fuel line from the pump and make up a small tank with an oil can or similar run a line from there to the pump see if that makes it run, if so you still have a lot of work to do to the tank and lines. clean the carby to give the new tank a chance. do a compression test just to see if it has compression. change the spark plugs I had a boy a while ago that ran absolutely rubbish, turned out to be a plug, put an old one in I had laying around, worked.
the fact it runs for a few seconds indicates to me that it is a fuel problem you get a bit of fuel through while it is off, then it uses it up before it can be replenished. blocked filter or lines.
Also could be condenser in dissy on way out, they can cause similar problems. if you replace condenser do points as well.
upperkuts

Thanks for the help guys.. ill do what i can out of those things and see if it will run, if not i might just send it to a workshop and get a pro to look at it.. as i said before im not real good with motors so i havent got the slightest idea how to do points or replace a condenser.. i cant even do a compression test :? i have a feeling im gonna learn a few of these things owning a mighty boy though :roll:
ImageImage
upperkuts

sittin round bored tonight i found a pic of a nice lookin mighty boy so i thought i might do a little photoshop of what mine may turn out like in the future.. bagged and shaved :) (if i ever get it running)
Attachments
my favorite :) not sure if anyone will agree but i think this looks awesome
my favorite :) not sure if anyone will agree but i think this looks awesome
possible paintjob?
possible paintjob?
thats the original pic.. very tidy mighty boy
thats the original pic.. very tidy mighty boy
ImageImage
upperkuts

I just thought i would add 1 more :) ... this one is a little out of hand though :wink:
Attachments
mboutofhand.jpg
ImageImage