fan won't stop

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
courierguy

The mb was over heating today so pulled over turn of engine and wait to cool of. No sign of leaking so drove of .About 5 minutes later again it started to over heat; so pulled over but this time i let it run for a few minutes and notice the fan stays on .is there a switch not working or what.
gadj

Quite possible the switch has been bypassed. Switch is in the bottom tank (Left side I think) trace the wires from the fan, one should go through the switch but if it has failed, one wire can be removed & connected direct to the fan.
Best you find the cause of the overheat before putting a new switch in.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
KEVIN

If you left it running it's probably still hot enough to keep the fan switched on but if it seriously overheated it could have cooked the fan switch in the radiator :cry:
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
cozza

when my switch went in mine it left the fan on all the time i just ended up running my own switch and relay from a davis craig kit works a treat with an aftermarket fan keeps it so much cooler
courierguy

Ok guy's thank's for the replies and problems solved :thumbup1: Now i noticed the drive belt started to fray so replaced that. Ihad a spare one but from another car which was about 5mm short than the mb one.Anyway stuck that one on and went for a drive. Got home let it idle abit and the idle sounded it went up a touch. Could it be the shorter belt do this :?: ..
gadj

Not so likely. More likely the idle solenoid opening & allowing more fuel in.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..