Loud tapping after replacing Head Gasket

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Rabbit

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a problem with my little red. I just replaced the head gasket the othe day tested the running and it run beautifully and quietly with near timing belt on and timing case cover on. The alternator was not attached back yet as I needed to replace the harmonic balancer. Today I replaced the balancer (with much thanks to Hemi Boy)put on the fan belt and tightened up the altenator and fired her up only to find it now suddenly has a rather loud tapping sound the seems to be eminating from in or around the timing case.

I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced this before or could offer some advise??

Thanks all
Rabbit

oh and also I moved the crank timing gea back towards the block so I could mount the harmonic balancer.
Brayden

Did you remember to refit the backing plate on the lower timing gear sprocket?

Also, if you run the motor without the crank pulley attached there's nothing to stop the lower timing sprocket from walking around on the crankshaft and damaging the woodruff key.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Rabbit

timing gear sprocket and backing plate are in place, key is still in goog nic. I am going to take the timing cover off again I think and check the belt isn't slapping against cover, I'm running out of ideas. it's definately coming from around the timing gear
Rabbit

I'm over it. Anyone want to buy a 86 mightyboy. F8B motor 4 speed rego until July. $850. Cessnock. Box of spares to go with it.
Brayden

Wow, that escalated quickly! :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

14 Minutes from "Gonna sort it" to "Gonna sell it" :-o
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Rabbit

That's because my pajero dropped itself yesterday as well. A person can only take so much nagging from the wife. Easier to sell it then listen to her in my ear.
gadj

I'd list the wife on ebay as well as the car/s. No woman will separate me from my interests... just trying would cost her.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..