A/C in Mightyboy - Ever been done ?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
pizzafever

Probably not to many people likings on the idea as many would rather wind down the window.

But has anyone every tried to put A/C (airconditioning) in a mighty boy.

Doing more & more research on these models & japan variants .

It seems perhaps a kit from a early Alto works ? ever been done ?

of course I assume the works dashboard aswell would have to go in, a few pipes and wiring,

Lets just say can it be done from a Altoworks halfcut. Would it be just a R&R fitment job if changing whole dash, works motor F5A Turbo/F6A turbo(dependable on works model) & wiring, or do holes need to cut out in the firewall where the A/C lines enter the cabin area .

Any experience on this conversion or idea of doing it would be great. just an idea !
Tez

I think the considered opinion is that the F5a motor would not have enough to run the car safely and drive aircon as well, so the very prospect of adding aircon would imply an engine upgrade. Having said that, I do also believe there are a FEW cars in Australia that have had aircon fitted. No Dasboard is a remove/refit in a MB other than a MB dash - all others require some level of massaging to get in and made look good (several examples in cars in this group).
There is some discussion in the archives on the subject - a search might turn up some stuff. Good luck with your endeavours! :thumbup2:
Tez
So the adventure continues...
KEVIN

When we built the MYDBOY we did consider using the A/C that came in the halfcut but decided against it because we were looking for outright performance & didn't want the extra weight or drag on the engine. It definately could be done, but the engine compartment of the Alto Works is very different to the Mightyboy. With the F6A you would be very short on space to mount the compressor on the front of the engine. The condensor could be used as could the piping with a fair amount of reworking you would have to create your own holes in the firewall. The interior pieces could all be used with the Alto Works dash which also needs quite a bit of reworking and trimming to fit & brackets etc making to install the dash. NOT an easy install but could be done as long as you have a complete front cut to start with. Hope this helps, Best of luck if you decide to try it. :thumbup2:
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
mowog

they did come with air. at least one guy in tassie has one.
i have also wrecked a hatch with air the dash cluster and controls are almost identical the the boy but with the addition of the air con controls. I will be fitting it in my boy.
obviously its not the sort of thing you run while overtaking a semi on a long uphill run. but on a normal sort of drive the use of the air con does not interfere much.
niiko

I thought all the squirts has a/c, but I could be wrong....
nutter

I have just been givin a wrecked (Late 80s) Alto with an F8B and factory Air. All the stuff in the engine bay will be very close to bolting strate in and the box will just squeez under the dash with part of it cut away and on a 45deg angle it will be mated up to the air intake vent with a piece of high densety foam, Look fairly easy so far
ssc87

Seen a few in japan with a.c

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/ search migthtyboy and look every now and then they pop up.
Colin

i have a/c in mine i bought one years ago with a/c removed it and fitted it to the esky..works great
MORE BEER! :beer:
Eddie

I bought one the other day auto with aircon I'll put up some pics :)
arklan

might be unconventional but the ac that electric cars have would probably be a lot nicer to the engine
just put in a second battery to help with voltage sag
the ac units in electric cars r much less greedy on energy
g man

a mate of mine over here has a few boys - his own road car will have
a/c very soon. running one lt eng with auto - just a slow cruiser.
all the best with the fit up. :)