Servicing my mighty boy

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Dan

Afternoon all

New mighty boy owner here and i;m loving every minute of the little beast so far.

Im in perth, i was wondering if there is any other owners from Perth who could advise me on a good place to service the boy?.

Some quick facts: 1986 black mighty boy, manual, red rims, canopy, 142 000kms. I'm not sure on how to post a pic, any advice?

Cheers

Dan
Dan

No takers? that’s cool

How about some technical advice. Vehicle condition report came back with

1. HT leads need replacing
2. Gearbox leaking and noisy
3. Front ball joints need replacing - complete lower arms
4. Distributor needs replacing
5 Carby leaking.

For numbers 2 and 3 the quote was over $1300. Now i dont know alot about this area just yet, but driving the car doesn’t suggest the extent of problems listed above. It seems these may be problems for the future and he's giving them unnecessary urgency.

Any thoughts lads? am i being taken for a ride here? Any help would be appreciated.

Dan
Josh

Either you're being taken for a ride or that mechanic works to very high standards... far more likely to be the former rather than the latter, though...

On that note:

2 - All MightyBoy / Hatch gearboxes leak from somewhere, sometime. If it still drives okay then stick a tube of Nulon G70 in there and some synthetic or synthetic blend gear oil and have a hunt around for a replacement box in reasonble nick of a wreck while you drive the last kilometres out of your current one. :wink:

3 - If the car drives fine without any significant knocks or vibrations in the front end and you're not in immediate peril I'd just leave it until such time as you have the money to do a full upgrade / reco of the suspension, although some better informed on the full risks of doing this may disagree and be in a better position to advise than me...
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Brayden

Dan wrote:No takers? that’s cool
Forum has been down. ;)
Some answers for you:

1. Part of standard servicing. Leads always need replacing eventually.
2. Josh is right, all gearboxes leak from somewhere, and depending on what is causing the noise I would say the fix is new bearings - shouldn't cost you any more than $500.
3. Lower control arms and ball joints are $60 per side (combined unit) fitting takes about 15 minutes.
4. I don't know why the distributor would require replacing, but thats not the hardest job in the world.
5. Carby rebuild kit is about $70, plus fitting if you aren't confident enough to rebuild it yourself.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dan

josh, Brayden really appreciate the advice.

I think i'll cruise down to suziwest tomorrow and have a chat to those guys. Good work on the link.

I set up members gallery, have a peek :) shes a beaut.

Cheers
mowog

Most of us on here do out own servicing so don't have much experience with outside mechanics. I did buy a MB off a guy who had it regularly serviced by some crowd in Wembley and going on the standard of work and the cost (I have the receipts somewhere) (like 255 to replace the timing belt and $165 to do the clutch cable) (New bearings about 3 years ago and the thing was so rattly you wouldn't drive to the corner shop) this guy new nothing about cars typical uni engineering student and I think he was pretty well dudded every time they saw him or his mum coming.
Dan

Valid point mowog. Maybe its time i started to educate myself in these matters.

Brayden, You were about spot on with the prices. Ball joints atc were 90 odd each. I'm not confident with the carby rebuild so that will end up a few hundred.

Josh, good tip about the Nulon G70 and gear oil. when i got the car back the gears were much harder to change, maybe the guy put gear oil in that was too high in grade?

Once again thanks for the advice, calms the anxiety a little

Dan.
Brayden

Lower control arms (inc. ball joints) shouldn't be any more than $60ea retail mate. Try SuperCheap Auto.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dan

Ok update time

I've found out that my aunt's husband builds cars from shell up. He does it for fun and is keen to teach me all i want to know, its great because not only is it free (bar a few bottles of wine) i get to learn about the mighty boy.

Supercheap do 2 carby rebuild kits, the ms504 (for carby series ms2) and the ms506 (for the ms1). The car isnt on hand at the mo, anyone know which one goes with the stock f5a mighty boy? or is it a situation where i've got too get under the hood and have a peak?

Dan
Josh

:lol: Nobody can ever give a straight answer on that question! :(
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]