hatch turbo questions

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
siggers

Hi there, me and my friend are currently turboing a f8b.
but he has three atm and one 2 will be turbo and one supercharged...
I would like some questions answered if thats possible.

We have a turbo and manifold top hat and carburetta for it but do we have to adjust the timing and somehow lower the compression ratio on the car. what is the max boost the standard engine can handle. what pistons will bold in (ie forgies or a slightly smaller conrod) stronger rods???. and a five speed box for it as well as the four speed ratios are lame and very slow... what is the redline of the standrad engine. what is the best way to go about this.

The last engine we had turbo'd be broke the edge of the piston and yeah u know the rest... if you can answer at least some of these questions that would be sweet. Oh and if there is any performance parts available for these and ect...
daronk18

have a search around the forum mate you will find most of your answers in here somewhere, go to the search bit and it will come up.. :lol:
Brayden

Yes, besides searching to get full answers, I can give you some tips.

- Standard F8B compression and internals are fine for 7-10PSI - assuming you have the timing SPOT ON.
- You need to rebuild and recurve the distributor in order to run boost, otherwise you will detonate the motor and kill it. (as you have already done)
- Most 5 speed boxes that you can get from import cars have similar final drive to the F8B four speed, so changing over won't gain you a whole lot.
- Safe redline for an F8B is about 6.5-7k. Any more and you're asking for trouble. A standard motor doesn't produce any more power past about 6k so there's no reason to push it harder.

Hope that helps for a start, but as has been mentioned there is tons of info archived on the forum if you want to do some digging. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
siggers

yeah have looked but there is so much stuff to look though i have been looking all afternoon so i thought that asking would be easyer and how do u recurve the distributor...

anything that relates to this topic would be helpful as we want the max hp possible.... oh and how would u go about the fuel consumtion problem we had a second electric pump in front of the standard one and had it on a switch so when u where on high boost u wouldn't run out of fuel but in top gear on high bosst it still ran dry but pump was crap and cheap so... any thing would help heaps
Crank

siggers wrote:yeah have looked but there is so much stuff to look though i have been looking all afternoon so i thought that asking would be easyer and how do u recurve the distributor...
Me too would like to know how to recurve the distributor. I only know advancing and retarding :(

Cheers.
Brayden

The internet is a big place. Do some research on how a distributor works, pull one apart and have a go.

Essentially you need to turn what is normally vacuum advance into boost retard.
niiko

what sort of dizzy does the f6a sohc run?
Is it similar to the f5a turbo hall effect one?
Brayden

F6A single runs a two-wire magnetic pick up. I'm surprised the F5A duece used a hall-effect though. Very interesting.