timing belt

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Joel

hey all
i figured it best to replace the timing belt in my 87 alto GA as i have no idea how old it is and the oil filter hadnt been changed for over 35,000kms so who knows how old the belt probably is
the F5A in it isnt the original
the original engine number on the compliance plate starts with 18 and the engine in it now starts with 21something
it has 2 pcv hoses coming off the rocker cover if that means anything
me not knowing much about these engines just bought a timing belt to suit a F5A for a 80-82 SS40V that has sqaure teeth
i've since read on this forum about round teeth etc
have i got the right one?

thanks
-Joel
pony-tail

You will not know until you take the cover off .
I have F8B motors with both round and square teeth .
I do not know what models have which and the motors I have have been rebuilt and some have early heads on late motors and vice versa . I have not as yet seen an F5A with a round tooth yet , but I have no doubt that thay are out there.
I have come to the end of an era After 20 years of Kei cars It is time to move on - And almost time to leave this forum and say thanks to all who have assisted me .
Special thanks to Brayden
mowog

If you have to changeover remember you will have to change top and bottom pulleys the crank pulley not only has different teeth but is also different diameter.
I have seen two 5a motors with both types of belt.
pony-tail

I have seen two 5a motors with both types of belt
I have found no externally visual indication of what belt the motor has - is there any ?
I have come to the end of an era After 20 years of Kei cars It is time to move on - And almost time to leave this forum and say thanks to all who have assisted me .
Special thanks to Brayden
mowog

nope you have to suck it and see. although with the cover off you might be able to feel if it is round or square tooth.