not fu**ing happy

Chat about anything and everything.
daronk18

i was having troublr with my boy running not quite right so i took it to a tune fella who tonight tells me that he cleaned out the carby, re mapped the dizzy, and various other things but its running sweet as but then he says it gunna cost me $250... :-o Am i getting ripped in a major way or what i havn't paid yet but he says he spent 5 hours on it...

The only good thing is he put it on the dyno an said it had 39hp. is that normal and how many kwatts is that..
Brayden

To have a pro rebuild a carby is usually about $350, so for this guy to "clean" the carby I'm not sure what he would have done. Ditto for remapping the dizzy too! I mean thats something you generally do with a high-power rebuild/upgrade. That being said, $250 is really nothing for a mechanic. I've had a simple $6 bypass hose replaced (I thought the problem was a leaking water pump) and it cost me $95 including labour.

39HP ATW - even for an stockish F8B is almost laughably high! :lol: That equates to roughly 29kw, which is the power a stock F8B has at the flywheel from the factory. I'd say that you either have a heap of modifications, or the dyno is reading on the high side.
Was the run done in shootout mode?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Colin

cant be too bad i got 65 hp atw :lol:
MORE BEER! :beer:
daronk18

the guy isn't a mechanic he does it for a hobby on weekends but hes really good at it.. So my f8b goes ok then.. not sure if it was run on shootout mode, i will try an get a dyno sheet off him..
So you think 250 isnt a rip off
Brayden

If the ute is now running flawlessly then I'd say its worth $250.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
daronk18

it runs way better than before, perfect now goes heaps harder too from having it properly tuned on the dyno..
evilgidget

$250 is nothing.

$1250 on the other hand... That's a nice surprise. :x
hatchman

fix it yourself next time and u dont have to complain about $250
ToranaGuy

I also say if it's running really good now, it was worth the $$$. The power fugure does sound a bit high. Was the dyno set for the right size tyres? Or atleast the equivilent size?

Eg my ford goes onto the dyno at the lpg place for the drive data collection & fine tuning, but the switch only goes upto 16" rims. I've got 17x8 with 235/45 R17's on there, which is very close to original 205/65 R15 rolling diameter. They set the dyno for 15" rims so what it reads on power output is only slighty off. Not even 1% differance in tyre rolling diameter between the tyres!

I'm getting a dizzy rebuilt & remapped to suit my turbo 6cyl torana, dizzy was originally VH 6cyl electric. Going to cost in the ball park of $250 to $450 depending on what needs replacing in the dizzy. I'll find out in a couple of weeks when the place opens again after the Xmas break & i drop it off to them.

Carby clean, he mighta just pulled your air cleaner off, got a can of carby cleaner, and with the mb running squirted some in there & scrubbed what can be seen with a toothbrush. If it's running better, so what?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|