The Yellow Submarine - The buildup has begun...

Chat about anything and everything.
evilgidget

A little bit of a sneak peek at the mischief i'm up to. Another '86 model which has been parked for the last 2-3 years. Stuck a battery in it, checked the vitals & it does at least turn over, give a healthy spark & show signs of life, but it's not getting fuel to the carb for some reason... so I haven't picked it up yet... :oops: **EDIT** Combination gunged rear fuel filter & a dead fuel pump.

Front end shot - Nothing out of the ordinary...

Paint's suffered a bit in the last few years, but body is straight & has been living inland, so looks salvageable with a bit of work...

Interior retimmed (commence puking...). Fortunately the fake fur looks like it'll just pull off.

Engine bay - Stock at the moment (but not for long... MMWWWahahahaHAHA!!! :twisted: )

Agenda is to strip it back, fill & maybe bodykit it (something subtle though), respray in a metallic plum, re-power it with more cc's & maybe an extra cog in the transmission :wink: and a slightly nicer retrim of the doors. Probably keep the stock seats as the upholstery & frames in these ones are in BLOODY GOOD SHAPE (they'll probably break next time i get in it, just 'cause i've said that :evil: ). Needs a good thorough clean though.

More to follow once it's in MY yard...

Damn it's nice to be so close to being a 'Boy owner again... 8)
Last edited by evilgidget on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colin

about time you got back into it :D
MORE BEER! :beer:
bigboy89

cant wait to see it when its finished!
A pic of a girl on the bonett doesnt mean that my MB is a mighty girl!
hatchman

nice score
evilgidget

Current update: It's in the shed, front end out of it, motor sitting disconnected & loose on it's mounts (it's too good a motor to leave it outside), just prepping a couple of rust holes underneath where the battery tray is (was), then by that time I should have enough space to pull the motor & subframe out, in preperation for a quick engine bay respray and a *new* engine (not saying what yet :twisted: )

That's it, 'cause i'm too busy at work at the moment - but plan is to have it ready to lay waste to unknowing vehicles by about august '07.

I'll post random pics as I get around tuit. :wink:
Brayden

evilgidget wrote: in preperation for a quick engine bay respray and a *new* engine (not saying what yet :twisted: )
It better be 'lectric! :D
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
evilgidget

Considering the last electric one I did would light the tyres in third gear from a standstill...

Nah 8)
Brayden

Exactly! Imagine it with some decent suspension and nice wide tyres! :D
evilgidget

Orright, I know good F5a's are in demand 8) , but it doesn't mean that one of you lot can just come around & flog my old motor out of my 'bay without asking :lol:

Suspiciously vacant, waiting for the new donor engine & transmission to arrive (and no, it isn't 993cc - That's too small :twisted: )
Brayden

evilgidget wrote: Suspiciously vacant, waiting for the new donor engine & transmission to arrive (and no, it isn't 993cc - That's too small :twisted: )
Then whats the ad on RedlineGTi for a G10A and front struts about then? :P
evilgidget

:x Alright Brayden, you know you made a liar out of me :roll:
I've been a bit too busy to get totally stuck into it, but I have been doing dribs & drabs to get it happening.

I started off with the grand intentions of fitting up Mk1 GTi struts, hubs & brakes. It didn't take me too long to realise that the hubs I got were rooted - huge gouges out of the hub where a wheel bearing had destroyed itself & the owner couldn't care less... and the calipers had rusty bores - straight off the car my @rse... So they were set aside to raid for bits, as I discovered that the mk3 GA discs were only a couple of mm smaller than the GTi ones, but were newer & used pretty much identical calipers... As a bonus the ones I bought came complete with CV shafts, brake lines, a complete (loom & all) G10a engine, 5-speed, fuel tank with electric pump... So That was enough to get me started.

Just a pause here to mention that a Mk3 engine is different from the Mk1 - It's alloy, has more emmissions shit to hook up, the engine mounts are COMPLETELY wrong (and don't interchange), and the gearbox has additional mounts & lumps & bumps on the casing which foul on everything... :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Makes the job much harder... If i'd realised at the time I would have persisted with sourcing an earlier engine.

ANYWAY... As of today, I thought i'd fill everyone in as to what deep shit i've gotten myself into (this is the first conversion i've ever done), and say that the GTi struts & bigger GA vented brakes are on, 12mm studs are coming to massage into the rear drums so that the nuts match, the engine is in the bay (albeit on blocks while I make new mount templates) and I have a spare engine waiting on "stuff" :wink:

Pics...

engine bay

Clearance on the engine side (about 8mm) - poly mounts will be used to stop it banging...

And the gearbox side... Note the (lack of) clearance to subframe, this was a pain in the @ss to position in to get ANY clearance, let alone the 12mm I have here.
Last edited by evilgidget on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritz

I admire your dedication mate. :wink:
Not tempted to go the charade route given it's giving you hassles anyhoo?
evilgidget

Charade engine? No way... Not up for recessing firewalls & suchlike on my first ever build...
fritz

Fair enough mate. Excellent to see the build in progress. 8) I'm inspired to add more pics to my gallery now also. :D
Good luck with the build anyhoo. :wink:
evilgidget

Interesting side note with the GA hubs, They fitted nicely with no modifications, bar for changing the ball joint retaining bolt for a longer bolt, nut & washers, and the fact that i'm going to need to shorten the rack ends by about 25mm. No tie rod flips, no drilling, welding or any other arsing about.

There's less mucking about than I had with fitting up the GTi struts, anyway...