turbo oil leak

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
brianhaley

Hi guys and girls

As you can see we have an oil leak from what we thought was from the Banjo Union, so we replaced the washers with new brass ones as instructed but the thing still seaps oil.

As you all know burning oil stinks so we would like to fix it. It now looks to me that its coming from the right of the Banjo Union where the bolts are.

If anyone can offer some suggestions i would appreciate the help.

Thanks
Brian
psychosis7326

Well first thing you need to do is hit it with some degreaser and clean it up nice and shiny so you can run it for a bit and id exactly where the oil is coming from and work from there
brianhaley

Well first thing you need to do is hit it with some degreaser and clean it up nice and shiny so you can run it for a bit and id exactly where the oil is coming from and work from there
psychosis7326

Thanks mate but i did degrease it before i put the new washers on but its hard to see where it seaps from. As i said it seems to me that its coming from the right of the union somewhere by the looks of the oil pattern
Brayden

Are you running any pressure reducer on the oil inlet? You might be over pressurising the turbo oil seals. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
brianhaley

Are you running any pressure reducer on the oil inlet? You might be over pressurising the turbo oil seals.
Brayden

I doubt that there would be a reducer in the oil inlet as when we bought the car of barry there was no oil leak there. how would you suggest we do that. or i know this is bodgy but can i close the oil line a bit by maybe kinking it a bit.
Brayden

The first thing I would do is disconnect the oil feed line from the motor and turbo to inspect if any restrictor has been installed.

Some turbos have a bolt on the inlet with a hole through it that regulates the oil pressure. If your turbo has this (or something on the motor end) then you can cross that off the list.

Failing that I would ensure that your drain line is big enough to allow the oil to escape the turbo before it builds any internal pressure.

If all this fails I would be looking at pulling down the turbo for a complete rebuild.
brianhaley

Brayden

I disconnected the oil lines and checked for any restrictors but couldnt see anything like that. I also spoke to a turbo shop and they said that the union bolt that screws into the turbo to feed it oil has the correct size holes to give the correct oil pressure as long as you are using the original one it should be ok. But i dont think its the original one so im on the hunt for one now. If that dont work ill buy a new turbo, Garret in Chipping Norton want $1180 for a brand new RHB 32 but i might shop around first for cheaper prices.
gremlin

That's a rip-off for an RHB32, for that money you could get a gt12, and have any alterations done to fit it. Then you've got a bb turbo capable of flowing much more and most likely lasting longer.
Brayden

Agreed. A GT12 would be a much wiser investment than an RHB32 based on a 20+ year old design.
brianhaley

Gremlin, Brayden

Thanks for your advice on a gt12 Turbo. I have searched the forums & cant find much about the gt12. Could you tell me about what mods are needed to fit, im assuming manifold, pipeing, dump ect?
Brayden

GT12 is the hi-po upgrade for a RHB31, so for the 32 it would mean you'd need to change the manifold flange and dump pipe.

The upside is that a GT12 can be had for under $800 and offers far better performance.
brianhaley

Thanks brayden

I searched the horsepower in a box website and they have a gt12 and they think they have the turbo and dump flange which will make my job a little easier and if they do and its a resonable price i'll order it all tommorow