f8b speeds

Chat about anything and everything.
kidwithahatch

hi all just got my original f8b gearbox reconditioned so i can finally swap over from the f5a box thats on my f8b now.
what sot of speed differences acn be expected from the bigger box?
my car will do about 10 in first, 30 in second, 60 in third, and probaly 100 in fourth but this is without pushing it very hard as i get scared hearing how loud it sounds like the engined is working.. this is with the f8b engine and f5a box.
and what is the redline for a stock f8b engine??

cheers
josh
shavenyak

My f8b hatch goes about 80-90 in 3rd, and the highest I've been in 4th was just past the end of the scale on the speedo (>150), got no tacho but would guess the engine was sitting around 6-8k? Actually sounded ok, but definately didn't have any more guts past that.
Brokenshire

Same, My f8b gets thrown into third when i'm going up a hill to maintain 80 or so. on the highway i had it over 120 on the dial (but have to add about 9% for oversize rubber = 130)

and yes, we do know built to a budget not for speed but really, most six cylanders can do at least 250 can't they?
Brayden

Pre-turbo mine was about 30 in 1st, 60 in 2nd, 110 in 3rd and 165 in 4th. Redline set at 6500RPM, any higher and you're going to do damage.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Colin

brayden you girl......it will go faster :roll:
MORE BEER! :beer:
kidwithahatch

thats some huge speeds, i must need a tacho coz the engine souds like its going hard as. brayden what mods did you have pre turbo?? as mine as i sed is stocko
Brayden

Colin wrote:brayden you girl......it will go faster :roll:
It will now it has a turbo, I just need to get it registered and driveable!

Mods pre-turbo were extractors, weber carby, upgraded plugs, leads, GT40 coil and air filter.

Not exactly massive mods, but engine was in peak condition and well tuned.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Colin

my spare motor (non turbo )was good for 160 plus ...on flat road not down hill :lol:
MORE BEER! :beer:
stevan_istheman

I was stoked the other day when i was passing traffic on the highway at 130...
i'm still running in so i don't want to push it too much yet. :D
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
mightyboy

i had a 500, would not go over 95, i had it to 115 down a hill, it started to go BANG BANG BANG! and jolting. figured it time to slow down then...
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
Trevor_w00+

Im not sure if i should should be proud of it or not, but i got my 500 up to 121 km/h the other day. Mind you it was a very, very, very long run up :P Flat road mind you! none of this downhill business :P
tjb

Yeah, i reckon my 500 would hit 120 without a drama. I drive her just about everyday to work and always manages to pull 100 without so much as a second thought.
ToranaGuy

Well before pot #2's rings started to go, my little F8b powered mighty boy would go like a little rocket, i've had it way past the bottom of the speedo, estimate speed around 135kph, still with the F5a gearbox & diff. It was reving damn hard, my guess 7k rpm. I know it's not all that fast, but damn, in a small car like the mighty boy, it feels so fast!

As for 6cyl car's can do 250, well if their speed limiters were removed, possibly. I have had my EB way past the bottom end of the speedo, ( speed limiter disabled ) somewhere over the 200mark. 6000rpm shoulda been about 220 with the auto, and almost broke the tailshaft, cracked it! I've now got a fresh engine & 5spd conversion, yes new tailshaft, goes a lot harder than before, i'd love to see what it has @ the top end of the tacho. :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|