my ICE thoughts

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
kidwithahatch

hey this is what on planning into putting into my hatch.. two 4 inch sony explods in the hatch lid (already there) two six inch sony xplods just behind driver seat (already there). these two speakers will both be looped together on the rear driver set ont the head unit. two six inch sony xplod 2 ways in the door at the bottom corner in mounting pods. do the wiper handles come close to touching the speaker? and how risky is it running the wire through the door and into the main body of the car ie drilling holes etc and what protection can be used for it? i would also be planning on a sub in the back as close as possible to the two seats and a two channel amp powering this. i would like to keep it all sony exlpod to. is two channel enuff if you just want to power the amp and let the 6 other speakers be powered from the head unit? cheers
josh
psychosis7326

i seems a bit of a waste of money to me you would be better of just getting a set of good splits ie digital designs, blaupunkt that sort of aera putting them in pods on the door or kick pannels running them off a good 2x80 watt rms amp and one good sub off a single mono block amp say 1000watt rms and that would blow the head off just a heap of sony xplode gear most likley cost the same and have alot better SQ.... jaycar's precision response amps are a good start
shavenyak

When I got my hatch it had 6" xplods in the doors, just down from the window winders - there was clearance, but I was always whacking my knuckes against the speakers when using them.. So since then I've made new door cards all round and right now I'm trying to make a plan on where everything should go. I really don't want speakers in the doors again, although maybe some smaller tweeters or something.
You know how just behind the front seats there are screw holes for 6" speakers in the body? Well, if you have a back seat (like I do) these suddenly become unusable, because there's only like 1mm clearance between the back seat and the wall when you fold the seat down. So as soon as you put speakers in there you cant fold the seat. :( Unless I somehow flush mount them, but that seems too hard.

I installed central locking in the doors the other day, so I drilled holes in the doors. (the previous speaker wires were just strung around the outside) Then I just stuck a little rubber bung thing in there and it seems sweet as. Drilling was a little bit of an awkward mission, if I was to do it again I'd probably take the door off first.
kidwithahatch

yeh but i dont want to get rid of all my sony stuff and head unit i already have.. would a 2 channel amp be enuff to power the sub though wont it as i dont want to power all the speakers and that of it as well?
Brayden

Running six speakers off the head unit will be way too much for the inbuilt amp. If you are set on having six speakers then get a 4 channel amp to power the front door speakers and sub.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
kidwithahatch

ok thanks for that brayden that was my origianl thought but i dint want to fork out the money for a 4 channel amp so im thinkin about scrappin the door speakers and just having four speakers and amp powered sub
Brayden

If you want to create a decent sound stage then I would do the following:

- Keep your current rear speakers running off the head unit.
- Buy a decent 4 channel amp
- Get some 6" 3 ways (or splits) and put them in the doors, running off the amp.
- Put your sub in the back, running off the amp as well.

If you have all your speakers in the back with the sub, all you'll end up with is mush when you turn the volume up. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ceej

If you don't want to fork out heaps of cash for a high quality 4ch amp, i have one for sale. It's a Soundstream PCA-4.400 Picasso Series Amplifier. Very good quality/condition!

http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2711
Garry. Nuff sed!