MB Hatch Clutches.

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
dalderton

I Have aquired a 800 hatch and will put the motor and gearbox in the MB. On pulling the box off the motor I found to my surprise that the gearbox input shaft does not spigot into a bush/bearing in the flywheel. Strange I thought,is this normal I ask? The oniginal 550 Motor/Gearbox appears to be normal i.e. the gearbox has a spigot on the end of the spline which assume goes into the end of the crankshaft.What goes on here?Also am I correct in assuming that the clutch is the same on the 550 and 800,they look the same but mine are 2 different brands and not identical.
Just for interest sake I got a cam belt from Repco in Orange,in stock, for $18.75 ,thats got to be a bargain.
Help with the gearbox shaft conundrum would be appreciated.
Regards Dennis Alderton
Brayden

The difference in long/short shaft gearboxes is completely normal. What I'd be more concerned about is if the cam belt you have is the correct one. There are 4 different types. ;)

Oh, and when you install the F8B, remember that you need to use the MB alternator and front engine bracket.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
dalderton

Braydon. Thanks for the reply,The belt is a Gates and is 88 Square Tooth *3/4 wide as was the one removed .The original was Genuine Suzuki and I have fitted the new one and everything looks good.I read you Treatise on the swap so was aware of the alternator deal and the engine mount.I did do a moke recently and changed the alternator the other way but I have the right alternator so will use it. Thanks again for the reply,I sometimes wonder how you retain your enthusiasm and find the time to be so involved in the forum.I for one am glad you do.
Regards Dennis
Brayden

I use the forum as a distraction while I procrastinate about fixing my own ute. :D
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
dalderton

Good answer.