8oo gearbox noise.

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
dalderton

My newly installed 800 cc motor and gearbox is performing admirably other that a whine in top gear with peak intensity at around 80 kph.Is this unusual and any thoughts on it.So far I turn the radio up and try not to think of it.Has anyone used Nulon G70 in these transmissions and if so with what results.The Citroen blokes swear by it in their chosen beasts.
Regards Dennis Alderton
Jermaine

mine wines... but i dont think it sounds so bad :lol: i like it lol
Brayden

Nulon gearbox treatment will work for a little while, but the problem (as pointed out to me years ago by fellow MB nutter, Colin) is damage to the layshaft that carries the 4th gear. Once that is damaged you will get the noise in top gear. Sadly it isn't a readily available part but is a pretty common fault.

It shouldn't do any damage so long as the bearings are in good nick.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
dalderton

Thanks for that,I thought that it might be something like that.The thing goes very well but uses a bit of oil.There seems to be a bit underneath the motor but I cannot see where it is comeing from.I guess that they carry so little oil a little bit seems like a lot on the stick. I also found a bit of rust about 100mm up the left winscreen pillar.Strange place for rust to form. Regards Dennis
Brayden

Its funny you know, the places I have always seen MB's rust are:

- In the tray
- Under the rubber tray trim
- Top of the firewall
- Rear bottom section of the 1/4 panels.

But it wasn't until very recently that I started to see examples with rusted A pillars, generally right at the top of the windscreen. Very odd.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.