spitting out water

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
F8B's rock

hey guys, my hatch when running used to spit large amounts of water out the tail pipe, alot more than the norm. could this be a head or head gasket problem?
it dosen't sound rough or spluttery like a blown engine so im confused :S.

thanks again, brad
Hatches are the bomb
Brayden

It could be condensation. If it was a blown head gasket the water would turn to steam after 5-10 minutes of running and so you'd have a nice white smoke out the exhaust.

If you're concerned then have a leakdown test done on the motor. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
F8B's rock

oh ok lol, its not blowing any smoke what so ever, just sooty water would leak and spray out the back when it accelerated.
i got the idea it was a blown head gasket because the oil's gone a lil milky, and whats a leakdown test i dont think ive ever done one before :lol: lol

thanks again brad
Hatches are the bomb
gadj

Some of my older acquaintances tell me this is the norm for a well tuned engine - the amount of water may increase with humidity.

I would still ask for a leak down test though.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Jermaine

pressure test the radiator to see if there is any leaks, same as leak down test
ceej

honda_mightyboy_rule wrote:pressure test the radiator to see if there is any leaks, same as leak down test
I fail to see where the radiator is connected to the exhaust? And if it were a leak into a cylinder, the coolant/water would heat up and turn into steam. Also, you would really notice spluttering when starting after it had been standing.

A leakdown tester uses air from a compressor and measures the rate at which it leaks through the engine. You need the tester and an air compressor and the ability to listen/see where air is leaking, IF air is leaking. :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
Colin

take the oil cap off if theres baby shit on it you have a blown head gsk
MORE BEER! :beer:
mowog

you said the oil had gone milky. you have either a blown head gasket cracked or corroded head.
do you have to top the radiator up? milky oil is sure sign of water. keep running it and you will damage the crank bearings and crank journals water is not much of a lubricant. remember to do an oil and filter change when you have got it fixed.
ceej

Colin wrote:take the oil cap off if theres baby shit on it you have a blown head gsk
That could just be condensation. If the dipstick is milky, you know you have troubles. Look in the coolant, can you see a film of oil on top? Is there bubbles flowing through when you start the car up with the radiator cap off? Are you constantly topping up the coolant? Does your temperature gauge ever spike? Does it sometimes cough and splutter when you start it up?
Garry. Nuff sed!
Colin

comdensation wont turn your oil poo color :lol:
MORE BEER! :beer:
F8B's rock

its not spluttery at start up nor warm up, i havent really checked the radiator too closely but as far as i can remember their was no oily film ( i only removed the radiator today :lol: ) ah the levels in the radiator and oil never fluxuated and the dipstick was clean, it was just the cap on the lunchbox sized rocker cover that had white goo on it lol.

if worst comes to worst, is replacing a head gasket a expensive or tricky job?

thanks everybody for the responses i appreciate everything

cheers brad.
Hatches are the bomb
mowog

if you do lots of short runs you can build up condensation, this is not a problem, same with the water out of the exhaust. you need to do a run of at least 1/2 hour 2 or 3 times a week to keep condensation down. also the exhaust will rust out quick with short runs.