Oil for standard 550cc MB...

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Mantis

Hey guys got a quick question, I'm heading down to Sydney to pick up a Boy that I have recently bought, anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to drive it back up here to Brisbane!!!

What I'd like to know is what sort of oil do you guys recommend, and also is there any sort of common parts that may fail during my trip that I can get hold of before I start the journey??

Cheers, Shane.
Trevor

Hey Shane
Im half way if u get problems give us a buzz I'll pm my number and I got heaps of bits
Brayden

Anything in the 10-40 range will be fine for oil. Good luck getting it home!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
CHooKMaN

Shane... Did you get that little green one off ebay?
Mantis

Nah mate, got the little black one with white racing stripes that was on ebay a little while back..

Thanks heaps for your help if I need it Trev, and Brayden, thanks heaps for your advice, I'll get me some 10w-40 to have with me if it sucks too much lube..

Cheers, Shane.
Mantis

Hey guys, another couple of questions, I'm in Sydney at the moment, done about 700kms in my boy, getting it warmed up for the long haul north at the end of the month..

Anyway, two more questions, what is the oil capacity of the F5A and also I have noticed a problem with my fuel gauge, when I fill it up it reads full no worries at all, but when I drives it makes its way pretty quickly to the E even though there is plenty of fuel in the tank, and doesn't behave properly until I fill it up next...

Also, what is an F5A capable of speed wise without doing damage?? I drove it from Sydney to Newcastle today, and it seemed to sit on 100km/h no worries at all, and the engine sounded better than it does when cruisong at 80km/h, does anyone know what sort of revs it would be doing at these speeds?? I have about a 700km drive ahead of me at the end of the month, and I don't wanna be blowing a motor before I even reach my destination.. So is 100km/h safe??

Thanks again,

Shane.
Brayden

100km/h will be fine. Depending on tyre size the motor will be spinning at about 5000RPM at that speed.

Oil capacity is 2.5-3L depending on sump.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mowog

you don't know the car I think you would be running a risk sitting on 100, 80 is not that much more time consuming and a lot less stress on the motor.
my fuel gauge does the same thing i think it probably needs the sender pulled out of the tank and cleaned or a new sender.
Trevor

I've bought several cars now and drove them back from sydney, unknown and they have been great even with noisy wheel bearings, and I found the same they sound better at 100km, if you already done 700 k's she'll be right
JohnnyB

We have bought a few jap import cars from adelaide and drove to canberra with no problems at all. The Suzuki Every Van was sitting near on red line the whole way 14 hours straight
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]
Mantis

Hey everyone, thanks again for all your help, especially Trev for putting himself out personally if I did run into problems..

Well the trip is done, and didn't have one hiccup at all, I sat on 95 - 100km/h all the way, apart from restricted speed zones of course.

One other thing I am extremely happy with that I don't think was this good on my previous boy is fuel economy.. I filled up in Newcastle and got all the way to Coffs on that one tank, with the engine screaming!! Navman told me that was just over 400kms!!!! STOKED!!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input,

Cheers, Shane.
JohnnyB

Good to hear that you made it safely without hiccups!
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]